Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current UNC Health employees, please log-in to Employee Self Service to view open jobs, apply for open jobs, and set up your Talent Profile. Creating your Talent Profile will allow you to add credentials, education, and employment history. Once created, your Talent Profile can be used to quickly and efficiently move through the job application process for current and future job applications.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
** Please note: Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this Summer. In the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied. For applicable positions, learn more here. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 2996
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: Shared Services
Status: Part Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 30,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The Medical Director of UNC Health’s Acute Care at Home program is a dynamic, experienced physician leader who is passionate about transforming the future of healthcare. This physician leader is a visible ambassador for the Acute Care at Home program and is critical to establishing strong clinical relationships with referring physicians.
The Medical Director drives the program clinical vision and leads the Acute Care at Home clinical team to achieve excellent clinical performance, patient experience, and outcomes while also advancing clinical innovation and the overall program success strategy. The Medical Director works closely with the Acute Care at Home Director (as the second half of the dyad) to be the front-line operational leaders interfacing with clinical and non-clinical leaders to support care delivery in the Acute Care at Home model. The Medical Director also supervises and shares select responsibilities with the Associate Medical Director, Acute Care at Home.
The Medical Director oversees physicians and advance practice clinicians in the Acute Care at Home telemedical command center (“Mission Control”) and ensures provision of high-quality Acute Care at Home care. This leader is expected to demonstrate exceptional clinical, leadership, strategic planning, critical thinking, patient relations, organizational, and time management skills. The ideal candidate is passionate about transformative virtual care solutions, innovating clinical best practice, and driving exceptional patient-centered care.
The role requires a 0.6 FTE commitment to the Acute Care at Home program which includes approximately 60% direct clinical care and 40% administrative time. The Medical Director will work alongside the Associate Medical Director who will contribute 0.4 FTE (60% clinical, 40% admin) and be directly responsible for program clinical quality and safety. The Acute Care at Home Medical Director will work closely with Clinical Leadership at referring hospitals within the Triangle area, including UNC Hospitals and UNC Rex.
Reports to: Chief Medical Officer for UNC Health and dotted line to Executive Medical Director, Virtual Care Center and Vice President for Well Care and Specialty Services.
Key Functions and Responsibilities:
• Drives clinical model design, policy, program eligibility, and strategic plan. Leads clinical operations workgroup/oversight committee to coordinate Acute Care at Home operations, initiatives, and clinical priorities.
• Supervises and coordinates the supervision of Acute Care at Home Physicians and Advanced Practice Clinicians (APPs) through team assignments, chart review, mentoring, etc.
• Supervises Associate Medical Director for Acute Care at Home program
• Ensures proper provider staffing, plan for appropriate medical staffing levels, and identifies staffing and recruitment needs. Coordinates medical provider and advanced practice providers schedules with the Acute Care at Home Administrator.
• Takes lead in provider recruitment, interviewing, hiring, and onboarding of new medical providers with focus on identifying strong fit for Acute Care at Home care setting.
• Leads effort to partner clinical leaders at referral sites to build buy-in for the Acute Care at Home program among referring stakeholder groups including Physicians, Care Management, Nursing and patients and families; serves as an escalation point of contact for patient acquisition questions and troubleshooting.
• Serves as the dyad partner to the Acute Care at Home Administrator for day-to-day operational management of the program.
• Establishes an environment of teamwork and inter-professional collaboration to ensure an integrated team approach to patient care. Engages providers, nursing, pharmacy other stakeholder participation and input to expand and strengthen Acute Care at Home programs through collaborative problem solving and decision-making.
Shared responsibilities with Associate Medical Director:
• Performs all clinical and administrative duties expected of a medical provider
• Attends staff and management meetings, including all-staff and site-staff meetings, provider meetings, and others as necessary, including clinical operations committee, quality and safety committee, management team meetings, etc. Manages regulatory pathways and interaction with applicable agencies on the local, state, and federal level
• Represents medical providers on committees and participate in managing the day-to-day clinical operations the medical command center. Represents Acute Care at Home activities and initiatives to community agencies, partners, and stakeholders as needed
• Introduces, updates, and champions clinical guidelines and standards of care within the medical provider team. Communicates with providers via various modes (email, meetings, one-on-one, etc.) around new Acute Care at Home developments and initiatives.
● Graduation from Medical School.
● Board Certified/Board Eligible Physician in Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, Geriatrics, or Emergency Medicine.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● At least five years of experience as a practicing physician required.
● Experience as a hospitalist or in a skilled nursing facility is preferred.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Committed to providing high quality, evidenced based medicine to a diverse patient population.
● Possess expert, complex, clinical decision-making skills; triage and collaboration skill and will display a high-level of comfort with providing care in a non-traditional setting.
● Excellent clinical and communication skills.
● Demonstrated ability to collaborate with and influence peers and other providers to drive department success.
● Effective in offering support of others and developing new providers into experienced clinicians.
● Demonstrated supervisory skills sufficient to manage staff in a medical office, clinic, or facility.
● Demonstrated ability to lead multidisciplinary team. Handles conflict with fairness, courtesy, diplomacy, honesty, firmness, empathy and confidence.
● Knowledge of common safety hazards and precautions sufficient to establish a safe work environment.
● Approaches problem-solving by focusing on patients first. Advocates for care that best serves the patient. Addresses patient complaints/problems in a timely manner.
● Experience with electronic medical records as well as demonstrated comfort with technology and ability to integrate into patient care processes.
Entity: Shared Services
Organization Unit: Virtual Care Center - Admin
Work Type: Part Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 24.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Not Applicable
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.