Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current UNC Health employees, please log-in to Employee Self Service to view open jobs, apply for open jobs, and set up your Talent Profile. Creating your Talent Profile will allow you to add credentials, education, and employment history. Once created, your Talent Profile can be used to quickly and efficiently move through the job application process for current and future job applications.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
** Please note: Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this Summer. In the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied. For applicable positions, learn more here. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 2760
Location: Raleigh, NC
Facility/Division: UNC REX Healthcare
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 30,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Under the direction of the Respiratory Therapy management and according to UNCH and departmental policies and procedures, the RT Clinical Specialist is responsible for all aspects of patient care within their designated service line or intensive care unit. The Clinical Specialist is also responsible for collaborating with RNs, physicians, and other members of the health care team to coordinate care for these very complex patients.
1. Planning and Managing Care - According to UNCMC and department standards, and utilizing unique knowledge regarding the care of CF patients or the care of patients with critical illnesses, independently uses and documents effective planning, deliverance and evaluation of goal focused, individualized safe age and culture-specific care for all patients. Works in conjunction with other caregivers and providers to ensure that the patients under the care of the Clinical Specialists has technologically advanced optimum care for relief of their respiratory compromise, assuring that patients have adequate oxygenation and ventilation and is able to maintain acid base balance and hemodynamic stability within physician ordered parameters. Participates in patient rounds each day on the intensive care units or with the clinical team within the adult or pediatric pulmonary division teams.
2. Continuum of Care Planning - Consistently role models the coordination of comprehensive, age and culture specific continuum of care planning for all patients and families. Using available internal resources and systems, consults with healthcare team providing complete and appropriate information for complex continuum of care planning as it relates to the patient population being served.
3. Patient and Family Education – Independently develops, evaluates and revises individualized, age and culture-specific teaching plans for all patients and families. Provides extensive patient/family education for patients ready for discharge, clinic patients, and patients ready to go home with tracheostomies and ventilators. For CF patients, develops care plans to keep them free of infections and re-admissions.
4. Problem Solving - Identifies problems and utilizes problem solving skills to participate in finding solutions and then follows through to implement solutions. Role models the use of the problem solving process. Is a change champion. Works closely with physicians to determine the best treatment plans for patients, weaning plans for mechanically ventilated patients, and to determine the best modes of ventilation to optimize critically ill patients on life support. Actively participates in department quality assurance programs and takes part in the re-education of caregivers when applicable.
5. Communication and Collaboration - Clearly and efficiently communicates significant information from one level or location of care and/or from one caregiver to another. Independently collaborates with multidisciplinary team members. Role models effective communication/collaboration and directly manages conflict resolution.
6. Continuous Learning - Assumes responsibility for continuous learning, engaging in educational activities annually or pursuing advanced academic education. Develops and achieves personal and professional goals. Is proactively involved in quality improvement by the identification of issues, planning and evaluation of quality improvement projects. Maintains knowledge of all current applicable research and information published in peer reviewed journals. Commitment and initiative to maintaining skills and expertise to care for critically ill patients on life support equipment. Provides supervision, guidance, training and direction to respiratory care students. Provides orientation to new hires. Is the clinical resource for nurses, physicians and other respiratory therapists working in the Clinical Specialists’ areas of responsibility. Provides in-service education to nurses, physicians and colleagues.
● Graduation from an accredited Respiratory Therapy program.
● If hired after August 1, 2016, a Bachelor’s degree in Respiratory Therapy or related field is required.
● Licensed as a Respiratory Care Practitioner by the North Carolina Respiratory Care Board and registry eligible by the National Board of Respiratory Care.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Two (2) years of experience as a Registered Respiratory Therapist in an intensive care setting.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Advanced knowledge of principles and techniques of mechanical ventilation and care of the patient with complex respiratory diseases or compromise.
● Able to work in a collaborative and multidisciplinary environment.
● Interpersonal communication skills necessary to work with hospital employees, physicians, patients, family members and community professionals.
● Must possess exceptional critical thinking skills and deal with extreme pressure and stress.
● Ability to rotate shifts and/or work flexible hours to meet patient care needs.
Entity: UNC Rex Holly Springs Hospital
Organization Unit: Rex Respiratory Care
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Raleigh
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.