Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current UNC Health employees, please log-in to Employee Self Service to view open jobs, apply for open jobs, and set up your Talent Profile. Creating your Talent Profile will allow you to add credentials, education, and employment history. Once created, your Talent Profile can be used to quickly and efficiently move through the job application process for current and future job applications.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
** Please note: Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this Summer. In the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied. For applicable positions, learn more here. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 3425
Location: Morrisville, NC
Facility/Division: Shared Services
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 30,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The System Payroll Specialist is responsible for day-to-day payroll transactions and the accurate and timely processing of bi-weekly payrolls for both exempt and non-exempt employees on one or more payroll systems and for one or more payroll companies. This role prepares, analyzes, and reviews payroll reports, calculations of payroll and exception items such as bonuses, garnishments, terminations, tax adjustments, administration of time and attendance systems and report requirements.
1. Payroll Processing: Assists with processing biweekly payroll. Reviews and audits timekeeping records for compliance with established standards and policies. Enters new data into the payroll and timekeeping system. Posts changes in pay and tax status and miscellaneous employee changes associated with payroll. Processes requests related to special programs such as PTO Sell Back, PTO payout at termination and dual employment and preparation of W-2 documents.
2. Payroll Analysis: Computes wage and overtime payments. Calculates and records payroll deductions. Processes and prepares manual checks. Prepares data and documents in support of more complex processing and processes conducted by senior members of the team. Conducts batch importing, journal, and wire processing. Although duties normally follow established procedures, responsibilities may include routine, minor corrections to make documents acceptable for processing.
3. Audit and Compliance: Balances and controls earnings and deduction totals. Calculates and prepares general ledger entries. Inspects automated system output such as registers and standard reports. Determines and corrects out-of-balance conditions. Prepares, audits, and files tax reports. Calculates military and jury duty pay. Processes garnishments, levies and manual checks.
4. Reporting and Consultation: Gathers payroll data for inclusion in financial statements. Researches and prepares special reports for management. Provides policy information and employee specific data to employees in a customer service capacity. Interacts with internal department representatives to resolve issues.
● Associate's degree in related field (or equivalent combination of education, training and, experience).
● No licensure or certification required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● If an Associate’s degree: Two (2) years of relevant experience.
● If a High School diploma or GED: Six (6) years of relevant experience.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Strong communication and interpersonal skills. Proven organizational and problem solving skills.Demonstrated flexibility and adaptability.Demonstrated analytical and critical thinking skills.Uses professional concepts and payroll knowledge. Applies company policies and procedures to resolve a variety of issues.
Entity: Shared Services
Organization Unit: Payroll
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Morrisville
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.