Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current UNC Health employees, please log-in to Employee Self Service to view open jobs, apply for open jobs, and set up your Talent Profile. Creating your Talent Profile will allow you to add credentials, education, and employment history. Once created, your Talent Profile can be used to quickly and efficiently move through the job application process for current and future job applications.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
** Please note: Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this Summer. In the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied. For applicable positions, learn more here. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 4022
Location: Lenoir, NC
Facility/Division: Caldwell Memorial Hospital
Status: Per Diem
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 30,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Under close supervision, responsible for providing a safe, supportive and therapeutic environment for psychiatric patients. Provides direct patient care and may conduct therapeutic group sessions under the direction and supervision of the RN. Provides input to the RN to help develop the plan of care and assists in carrying out the plan of care for assigned patients. Assists with the admission of new patients and orients new patients and families to the unit.
1. Aids patients in reality orientation, participates in behavior modification plans/therapy, provides informal support therapy to patients/families, provides verbal de-escalation of potentially aggressive patients, aids in the physical management of aggressive/out-of-control patients, facilitates age appropriate play for children, and monitors the therapeutic milieu activities on assigned unit to ensure that emotional and safety needs of patients are met.
2. Assists in interviewing patients and their families for routine admission data. Orients patients and families to the facility. Provides data input during team discussions and meetings to assist in developing therapeutic plans and objectives.
3. Interacts with patients on a one to one as well as small group basis. Facilitates assigned groups in ways which encourage and require maximum patient participation and interaction, appropriate to functional level of group members.
4. Observes, collects, and documents patient information obtained while providing care and promptly report significant changes in the patient's condition to a registered nurse or physician.
5. Provides direct personal care to patients as outlined in plan of care for routine activities of daily living including bathing, personal hygiene, feeding and dressing. Assists patients with position changes, range of motion exercises, transfers and walking. Obtains and records vital signs, intake and output amounts or other measures as delegated. Observes patients and assesses progress on daily basis and reports significant changes in patients' condition and/or behavior to supervising RN.
6. Provides protection and control for patients as required to ensure patient safety in the facility. Participates in restraining combative patients as necessary. Provides care and monitoring of patients in seclusion and/or restraint.
7. Reinforce routine teaching given to patients by the registered nurse or physician and document patient understanding of instructions. Distributes patient education materials at the request of patients and/or health care providers
● High School diploma or GED
● Licensed as a Nursing Assistant I by the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services.
● Crisis Prevention Institute (CPI) certification within 60 days from date of hire.
● Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certification or Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Provider certification
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Two (2) years of experience in a behavioral health environment.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients and hospital staff. Ability to work with, express sensitivity and understanding, and secure the cooperation of patients, including maintaining empathetic attitude towards patients. Ability to work with groups of patients or individuals in didactic or recreational groups. Ability to keep calm in stressful situations. Must be fluent in verbal and written English language. Capability to develop computer skills if not competent.
Entity: Caldwell Memorial Hospital
Organization Unit: Behavioral Health Facility
Work Type: Per Diem
Standard Hours Per Week: 12.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Lenoir
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.