Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current employees, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For employee referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 3803
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Shift: Night Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 30,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve. As a major academic health system, we offer candidates the opportunity to collaborate with multiple service lines including Nursing, Transplant, Oncology and Respiratory Therapy. Our laboratory Directors are experts in laboratory medicine and offer continuing education and training opportunities for our staff and management team. We are often the first to implement cutting-edge technology in laboratory testing, making us leaders in innovation and bringing advanced medicine and compassionate care to our community. We have a wide variety of specialty labs as well as Core Laboratory, TMS and Microbiology services, which allow technologists and managers to choose their own career path. In addition, we offer tuition reimbursement to encourage career advancement and professional growth and development.
This position is eligible for our Clinical Laboratory Commitment Incentive of $5,000. To learn more on the incentive program guidelines and eligible positions, visit https://jobs.unchealthcare.org/pages/lab-incentive-program?&bid=12881
This position performs a variety of medical tissue testing and administrative tasks in support of clinical activities. Work involves preparation of tissue samples, which enable pathologists to determine the cause of death, cause and degree of disease of patient and the course of treatment.
1. Assists with instruction of Clinical Laboratory Science students, Pathology residents, and new employees. Serves as a technical resource.
2. Enters testing information into computerized database.
3. Investigates and resolves problems with equipment, patient results, specimens and/or workflow.
4. May participate on teams or individually perform special projects/assignments.
5. Prepares tissue slides by processing, embedding, sectioning, examining, and staining tissues received from surgical pathology, autopsy, hematology, cytology and research areas.
6. Reports results of testing to healthcare providers. Consults and confers with healthcare providers regarding test results.
● Associate degree in biological or chemical science or completion of NAACLS accredited histotechnician program
● HT(ASCP) certified or certification eligible by the ASCP Board of Certification (BOC) within one year of hire date.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● If an Associate's degree, one (1) year of relevant experience.
● If completion of NAACLS accredited histotechnician program, no years of experience are required.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Surgical Pathology
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Night Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.