Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current employees, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For employee referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 2953
Location: Raleigh, NC
Facility/Division: UNC REX Healthcare
Status: Per Diem
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 30,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Performs specialized and complex technical tasks in screening slides of clinical specimens to detect evidence of cancer or other pathological or diseased conditions. Duties include marking abnormalities, recording diagnosis, an filing cases for subsequent review with pathologist.
1. Complies listing of patients for follow-up analysis of specimens. Prepares and analyzes subsequent specimens for cell changes and reports findings to pathologist.
2. Filters and spins fluids (centrifuge), prepares slides and stains specimens. Classifies slides, records classification, and presents slides with unusual cell structures to pathologist for further examination.
3. Prepares various solutions as required maintains inventory of supplies reorders as required.
4. Provides technical instruction and guidance to cytology students, reviews slides screened by students assists in training of new employees.
5. Receives blood/fluid specimens sent to the laboratory or collects specimens from patients observing strict principles of asepsis and anti-sepsis to prevent infection of patients and contamination of specimens.
6. Reviews patient history for each case maintains files of slides, diagnoses and laboratory reports.
● Bachelor's degree and completion of a one (1) year training program in an American Society for Clinical Pathologists (ASCP) or Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Program (CAAHEP) accredited school of Cytology.
● CT(ASC) certified by the ASCP Board of Certification (BOC) within one year of hire date.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Bachelor's degree and completion of a one (1) year training program in an American Society for Clinical Pathologists (ASCP) or Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Program (CAAHEP) accredited school of Cytology, no years of experience required.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: UNC REX Healthcare
Organization Unit: Rex Anatomic Pathology
Work Type: Part Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 20.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Raleigh
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.