Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current UNC Health employees, please log-in to Employee Self Service to view open jobs, apply for open jobs, and set up your Talent Profile. Creating your Talent Profile will allow you to add credentials, education, and employment history. Once created, your Talent Profile can be used to quickly and efficiently move through the job application process for current and future job applications.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
** Please note: Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this Summer. In the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied. For applicable positions, learn more here. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 4457
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Shift: Evening Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 30,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Performs a variety of patient testing and administrative tasks in support of the clinical activities in the UNCHCS. The Medical Technologist to perform Specimen Processing, Direct Gram Stains, Rapid Antigen and PCR testing. Total Laboratory Automation experience a plus. These duties will be primary responsibilities Monday – Friday in the Microbiology Central Processing Area. Organism Identification via Mass Spectrometry, Antibiotic Susceptibility Testing by Kirby Bauer and other duties as assigned will be primary responsibilities on weekends in the Bacteriology Laboratory.
Schedule: Monday-Friday 1:00pm-9:30 p.m., Rotating weekends and holidays
This position is eligible for our Clinical Laboratory Incentive Program which includes your choice of $10,000 in Tuition Loan Assistance or $5,000 Commitment Incentive. To learn more on the incentive program guidelines and eligible positions, visit https://jobs.unchealthcare.org/pages/lab-incentive-program?&bid=12881
1. Investigates problems with equipment, test results, specimens, and/or workflow.
2. May participate on teams or perform special projects/assignments.
3. May perform teaching of Clinical Laboratory Science students and Pathology residents and training of new employees. May serve as a technical resource.
4. Performs quality control and equipment maintenance in the appropriate laboratory.
5. Performs routine and less standardized test procedures which includes special chemical, microscopic and bacteriologic laboratory tests. Observes tests and reactions and provides data.
6. Prepares specimens and reagents, solutions, heat, or filters as required.
7. Reports results to healthcare providers. Consults/confers with health care providers regarding test results.
8. Reviews test results to ensure accuracy of report and timely correction of errors.
● Requires Bachelor's of Science degree. Must meet eligibility requirements upon hire to sit for MT exam within 12 months of hire.
● Must become MLS/MT (ASCP), MT (NCA), or MT (AMT) certified within 12 months of hire.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● No prior experience required.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Microbiology Laboratory
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Evening Job
Location of Job: US:NC: Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.