Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current UNC Health employees, please log-in to Employee Self Service to view open jobs and apply. We invite all current UNC Health employees to fill out their Talent Profile.
From Employee Self Service, as an Employee user, go to My Profile, then Talent Profile. Create your Credentials, Education and Employment History to complete your Talent Profile. Your Talent Profile can be used for current and future job applications.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
** Please note: Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this Spring. In the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied. For applicable positions, learn more here. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Job ID: 4874
Location: Raleigh, NC
Facility/Division: UNC REX Healthcare
Status: Full Time
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 30,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The UNC REX Post Anesthesia Care Unit is divided into two units: PACU East has 22 PACU bays and 8 OR Holding bays and PACU West with 13 Phase I bays and 20 Phase II bays. In PACU cases include orthopedics, neuro, thoracic, general, bariatrics, plastic, urology and endoscopy. In addition to routine surgical anesthesia recovery on adult and pediatric populations, the PACU provides services for the recovery of medical diagnostic procedures. Nurses in PACU recover complex cases with a passionate team of professionals. Our PACU’s are true multidisciplinary units, where specialties of anesthesiology, surgery, and critical care can intersect and confer about complex perioperative clinical issues in surgical patients.
Serves as nursing Team Leader. Provides education, training, and oversight to assigned nursing staff.
1. EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT - Coordinates, designs and implements educational programs to meet identified learning needs of staff, patients and families. Promotes and ensures staff participation in continuing education, orientation, competency, in-service and staff development offerings. Participates in development and implementation of competency initiatives. Serves as an area of specialty consultant in the design of educational programs. Participates in development of and provides clinical expertise for patient education materials. Promotes professional growth of self and staff. Promotes a conducive environment for learning and provides educational experiences for students.
2. EVALUATION - Evaluates patient progress and revises plan accordingly. Maintains accountability for carrying out components of the plan. Works with manager to ensure care on unit is accordance with policies and procedures.
3. IMPLEMENTATION - Promotes an environment that values diversity, open communication, teamwork and exceptional service. Ensures that appropriate care and services are available to patients, clients and families for assigned shift. Facilitates interdisciplinary collaboration in patient/client care planning to achieve desired patient outcomes. Coordinates care with interdisciplinary team members. Demonstrates and role models clinical expertise in specified patient population and shares expertise with other staff. Promotes and ensures the use of the nursing process to provide quality patient care. Assesses and anticipates patient and family learning needs and organizes resources to ensure that they are met. Performs bedside point of care testing as required for patient care plan.
4. LEADERSHIP - Creates and promotes an environment conducive to recruiting and retaining staff. Provides feedback to Manager/Supervisor and Director to assist in hiring, promoting, transferring and terminating staff. Assists Nurse Manager by providing assigned staff with performance feedback and opportunity to set professional goals. Models and promotes behaviors that effectively give continual feedback to staff and colleagues. Integrates best practice standards regarding retention of staff in all aspects of practice.
5. ASSESSMENT - Synthesizes data from complex situations to determine priorities for care. Includes appropriate physical, psychosocial and educational needs. Synthesizes assessment data into meaningful whole prior to communication with others. Assesses and anticipates discharge needs of individual patients and families. Develops relationships with families that promote their ability to advocate for the patient and their own needs. Works with manager to demonstrate specialization needs to serve the patient population.
6. PLANNING - Establishes and promotes standards of excellence for areas of responsibility and ensures consistent implementation by staff. Provides input about trends related to program development, space needs and fiscal realities. Ensures appropriate and adequate clinical staffing and skill mix to meet patient care needs on own shift and upcoming shift. Effectively uses clinical and financial information to assist Nurse Manager to establish and meet budgetary goals. Collaborates with Nurse Manager to implement strategies to increase revenue and cost-effectively manage personnel, supply and equipment resources. Evaluates the impact of strategic fiscal changes on quality outcomes. Assists Nurse Manager to ensure that internal and external regulatory standards are met or exceeded.
7. RESEARCH AND PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENT - Collaborates with Nurse Manager to evaluate research that is applicable to practice and promotes changes in standards of care as appropriate. Guides research development and implementation. Utilizes resources in asking research questions and applying appropriate research methods. Shares knowledge with colleagues through publication, presentations or other means. Develops, implements and evaluates new and creative approaches to meeting goals. Leads, participates and promotes performance improvement initiatives that focus on identified patient safety or quality of care opportunities.
● Graduate of Accredited Nursing Program. Bachelor's degree (BSN) required.
● Must have NC RN Licensure and BCLS.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Minimum of one year experience working as a licensed RN.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret clinical information and technical procedures. Ability to document clinical information. Ability to effectively communicate information and respond to questions from patients, physicians, family members, and other Rex staff. Mathematical Skills: Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations. Reasoning Ability: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions.
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: UNC REX Healthcare
Organization Unit: Rex Post Anesthesia Care West
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Variable
Location of Job: US:NC:Raleigh
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.