Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current UNC Health employees, please log-in to Employee Self Service to view open jobs, apply for open jobs, and set up your Talent Profile. Creating your Talent Profile will allow you to add credentials, education, and employment history. Once created, your Talent Profile can be used to quickly and efficiently move through the job application process for current and future job applications.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
** Please note: Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this Summer. In the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied. For applicable positions, learn more here. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 4658
Location: Hillsborough, NC
Facility/Division: Shared Services
Status: Per Diem
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 30,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The Intake Specialist is responsible for collecting accurate demographic, financial, and medical information from patients whom require health care services in accordance with policies and procedures in a confidential manner. Represents the hospital as the focal point for all initial communications at time of registration in a courteous and professional manner.
1. Completion of insurance verification and documenting upfront collections before the date of service for scheduled and pre-registered accounts.
2. Completion of approval (pre-authorization/prior-approval) for scheduled and pre-registered accounts.
3. Completion of pre-registration (by phone or by form) for patients as required or requested.
4. Schedules all new and follow-up patient appointments. Communicates cancellations as needed, attempting to reschedule whenever possible.
5. Maintains inventory of clinical and office supplies. Orders supplies within budget, as assigned (Outpatient Rehab only).
6. Ensures and verifies key ADT information is current and accurate to ensure patient safety, charging, coding, insurance processing, and billing accuracy.
7. Completes and documents all governmental, regulatory, financial, and contractual forms in accordance to procedure. Ensures document is scanned/saved to correct location and is legible.
8. Meets the department target for wait times for registration.
9. Meets departmental target for up front collections to include deposits, estimated amounts due, co-pays, and/or prior balances. Meets departmental target for registration timeliness.
10. Ensures customer service by consistently demonstrating a caring, positive, professional, and helpful disposition with all customer relations.
11. Influences co-worker satisfaction by being self-motivated, a positive communicator, team player, and a willing and approachable resource to other co-workers. Demonstrates willingness to change to ensure continuous improvement.
12. Actively participates in departmental QA by utilizing system work queues, making a personal effort to reduce individual errors, and making corrections. Utilizes system work queues as a daily part of the registration process to minimize errors.
13. Effectively precepts new co-workers as assigned.
● High School Diploma or GED. College degree preferred.
● None required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● 2 years of customer service and/or clerical experience. Prefer experience in healthcare setting with exposure to patient registration or scheduling or insurance authorization processes.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Language Skills: Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
● Mathematical Skills: Ability to apply basic mathematical skills such as counting money and making change, using a credit card and adding machine.
● Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations. Ability to define problems, collect data or information, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to develop independent solutions.
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: Shared Services
Organization Unit: Patient Access HBO ED
Work Type: Per Diem
Standard Hours Per Week: 8.00
Work Schedule: Weekend
Location of Job: US:NC:Hillsborough
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.