Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current UNC Health employees, please log-in to Employee Self Service to view open jobs, apply for open jobs, and set up your Talent Profile. Creating your Talent Profile will allow you to add credentials, education, and employment history. Once created, your Talent Profile can be used to quickly and efficiently move through the job application process for current and future job applications.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
** Please note: Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this Summer. In the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied. For applicable positions, learn more here. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 5731
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: Shared Services
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 30,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
UNC Health is seeking exceptional candidates to join our Strategic Planning group to guide the vision and strategic direction of the organization. This is a unique opportunity for a mission-driven individual to join a dynamic, collaborative, and fast-paced team environment as a System Manager, Strategic Planning. For this role, we are looking for candidates who are passionate about shaping the future of a leading academic health system. You will bring creative and forward-thinking solutions to tackle today's most pressing health care issues, and partner with thought leaders across the organization to develop strategies that prepare us to be successful in the future.
The Strategic Planning department acts as an internal consulting group focused on leading strategy across UNC Health. Our department’s mission is to provide valued strategic insights, trusted advice, and skill execution that elevate UNC Health’s impact in North Carolina and position it as the nation's leading academic health care system. In our pursuit of this mission, we believe in embodying the values of innovation, professionalism, diversity, and collegiality. The Strategic Planning team is part of UNC Health’s “Transformation and Experience” division – a group focused on transforming healthcare and achieving our vision and mission as One UNC Health.
1. Strategic Planning: Provides leadership for strategic initiatives across UNC Health and provides direction to team members in the Strategy department. Works closely with leaders and peers to prioritize work while supporting the alignment of activities throughout the department and across the health care system. May be assigned a designated service line or serve as a primary liaison to other business units. Leads challenging multi-month engagements on projects such as:
• Strategic planning for the UNC Health system, regions across the state of North Carolina, UNC Health-affiliated hospitals, and UNC SOM clinical departments.
• Service line and specialty program strategies, including analysis of performance, evaluation of competitive position, and development of strategic options.
• Evaluation of strategies required to succeed in value-based care and population health.
• Development of business plans or financial models for opportunities such as new partnerships, ambulatory and facility planning, and high priority strategic initiatives.
2. Leading Change: Proactively assesses the need for change and effectively leads change initiatives. Communicates change effectively and appropriately. Deals effectively with pressure and remains optimistic and persistent, even under adversity. Serves as a role model by demonstrating commitment to innovation and continuous improvement in organizational performance. Takes a long-term view and builds a shared vision with others. Provides effective thought leadership to senior leaders across the organization.
3. Leading People: Leads people toward meeting the organization's vision, mission, and goals. Leads project teams on complex strategic engagements and is viewed as the point person for multiple ongoing projects at a time. Directly supervises one or more staff in the Strategic Planning department. Provides an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of team members, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts. Establishes a high performing team environment. Articulates common goals and communicates how individual roles contribute to team success. Develops the ability of others to perform and contribute to the Strategic Planning department by providing ongoing feedback and opportunities to learn.
4. Results Driven: Exceeds departmental and organizational goals and customer expectations. Participates in decision making that produces high-quality results by developing subject matter expertise, analyzing problems, and understanding benefit and risk tradeoffs. Consistently conveys that customers are the highest priority. Communicates in a manner that promotes and sustains customer satisfaction and encourages others to do the same. Holds self and others accountable to high-quality services and timely results. Helps to set internal team priorities and initiatives. Supports various administrative functions within the Strategic Planning department. Understands the overall financial performance of the organization and applies financial concepts and practices to establish and maintain appropriate utilization of resources.
Requires Bachelor’s degree; Master's degree preferred.
Licensure/ Certifications Requirements:
No licensure or certification required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
Five (5) years of relevant experience(e.g., finance, strategy or consulting)or two (2)years at atop tier consulting firm with two years of other relevant work experience.
Preferred Experience: If a Master's degree: Five (5) years of relevant experience (e.g., consulting, strategy, finance, business development) or two (2) years at a top tier consulting firm with one (1) additional year of relevant experience. Healthcare, capital planning or strategic facilities planning is highly preferred.
Preferred: If a Bachelor's degree: Six (6) years of relevant experience (e.g., consulting, strategy, finance, business development) or three (3) years at a top tier consulting firm. Healthcare, capital planning or strategic facilities planning is highly preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Requirements:
Desired skills include excellent critical thinking, problem solving, relationship building, presenting and communicating skills, and the ability to function with limited guidance and be comfortable supporting projects both alone and in teams. The ideal candidate will have strong financial, project management, and change management skills, be analytically oriented, and be capable of translating analysis into storylines and narratives. This individual should be comfortable working both individually and collaboratively with teams to meet project deadlines and support strategic planning processes. Strong Excel and PowerPoint skills are necessary.
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: Shared Services
Organization Unit: Strategic Planning
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Yes
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.