Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current UNC Health employees, please log-in to Employee Self Service to view open jobs, apply for open jobs, and set up your Talent Profile. Creating your Talent Profile will allow you to add credentials, education, and employment history. Once created, your Talent Profile can be used to quickly and efficiently move through the job application process for current and future job applications.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
** Please note: Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this Summer. In the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied. For applicable positions, learn more here. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 5821
Location: Morrisville, NC
Facility/Division: Health Alliance
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 30,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
This is a full-time position with the UNC Health Alliance Population Health Services department supporting a food insecurity research study. While UNC Health Alliance is the employer, this position is funded via a two-year, term-limited contract with the potential for long-term retention as a Community Health Worker upon study completion. The Population Health Support Specialist – Community Health Worker is responsible for patient outreach to recruit and enroll patients in the study.
Once patients are enrolled in the study, Community Health Workers will support patients in adopting healthy eating habits and chronic condition self-management practices as part of an interdisciplinary care and research team. Weekend and evening hours and non-traditional work venues may be required to meet patient needs. Applicants may also be asked to complete tasks assigned by the Population Health Manager and the research team leads to support the research study. Such tasks include, but are not limited to, direct patient outreach, patient progress reviews, and nutrition and wellness coaching. Community Health Workers will be trained on Epic (UNC Health's electronic medical record) and specific study-related procedures. Community Health Workers will learn the basics of health education and specific nutrition-based coaching methods and tools.
Description of Job Responsibilities:
1. Maintains an environment of safety for patients, self, and others.
2. Recruits patients for study using guidelines and tools provided by research team leads.
3. Actively participates in departmental, service line and/or organization quality improvement initiatives to ensure patient, departmental, organizational, and research study goals/outcomes are met or exceeded.
4. Reports issues and system barriers for efficient and effective care plan support and research study participation to the Population Health Manager and the research team leads per policy.
5. Provides care planning support, resource coordination, and health coaching in accordance with study protocols.
6. Appropriately identifies, provides, & documents provision of potential community and health system resources to address barriers to care.
7. Partners with interdisciplinary care team to support patient’s care plan, provide nutrition coaching, and to ensure barriers to care have been addressed and the patient is provided with appropriate resources and services.
8. Actively participates in huddles, interdisciplinary care and research team meetings and other departmental meetings to address identified barriers so that patients can make progress toward care plan goals/outcomes in a timely manner.
9. Communicates effectively through documentation in the electronic medical record and by verbal interactions with the physician, interdisciplinary care and research team, patient, and family/caregivers.
● High school diploma or GED
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Minimum 1 year of experience in community outreach and resource coordination highly desired. Volunteer experience may be considered.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
• Bilingual (Spanish-speaking) – highly desired but not required
• Community outreach experience in any of the following geographic areas (desired but not required): Wake, Johnston, Franklin, Lee, Chatham, Alamance, Orange, Durham, Caswell, Nash and Person
• General nutrition knowledge – desired but not required
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: Health Alliance
Organization Unit: Pop Health Supp Admin
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Morrisville
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.