Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current employees, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For employee referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 4173
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Shift: Night Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 30,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Position qualifies for our Inpatient Respiratory Care Incentive Program, which includes a $15,000 commitment incentive with a three (3) year commitment which is paid in six installments, relocation assistance (relocation amounts based on location distance) and participation in our employee referral program ($3,000 referral bonus to employees who refer other Respiratory Therapists).
Under the direction of department management and according to policies and procedures as defined in the Department Policy and Procedure Manuals, administers respiratory care procedures and treatments designed to assess, prevent, stabilize or remedy patient's respiratory dysfunction. After completion of orientation, functions independently with minimal supervision.
1. Administers standard Respiratory Care including but not limited to, aerosol medication delivery, oxygen therapy, and airway clearance. Provides for all aspects of airway management including aspiration of established airways, tracheostomy care, tracheostomy tube changes, endotracheal extubation, and assist with intubation.
2. Performs all aspects of ventilator care to include set-up, initial placement, and management of settings depending on the patient's disease process. Provide appropriate monitoring of these patients and provide appropriate and provide weaning techniques.
3. Provide respiratory therapies in Pediatric ICU, Neonatal ICU, children's acute care floors, and Pediatric Emergency Department. A Teammate on the Pediatric Rapid Response Team and Pediatric Code Blue Team.
4. Maintains and improves job knowledge and skills. Serves as a resource to physicians, nurses, and students. Annual skill assessments.
5. Records all pertinent information pertaining to patient care procedures per hospital and departmental policies. Records all patient care procedures per hospital and departmental policies. Records patient information in an electronic medical record system.
6. May be required to be on-call days, nights, weekends and holidays.
● Graduation from an accredited Respiratory Therapy program.
● Licensed as a Respiratory Care Practitioner by the North Carolina Respiratory Care Board and registry eligible by the National Board of Respiratory Care. Must be registered within 6 months of hire. AHA or Red Cross BLS on hire. Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) and Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP) within (1) year of hire.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● No prior experience required.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements: Ability to communicate effectively , interpret a variety of technical situations, provide family centered care, and interpret clinical information.
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Respiratory Therapy
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 36.00
Work Schedule: Variable
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.