Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current UNC Health employees, please log-in to Employee Self Service to view open jobs, apply for open jobs, and set up your Talent Profile. Creating your Talent Profile will allow you to add credentials, education, and employment history. Once created, your Talent Profile can be used to quickly and efficiently move through the job application process for current and future job applications.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
** Please note: Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this Summer. In the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied. For applicable positions, learn more here. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 5718
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: Shared Services
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 30,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
This is a supervisor position for the Physician Insurance Billing and Follow Up Department ("PB Claims") at UNC Health. This department is composed of several teams managing professional claims from clinical areas across all of UNC Health. The Billing Services Supervisor will be responsible for the denial management and follow up work for one of these teams.
This position will directly supervise physician billing representatives who are tasked with executing all aspects of denial management and insurance follow-up. May also oversee pre-claims work. The supervisor will need to monitor staff work volume and the aging of assigned accounts receivable, making adjustments to work assignments as needed. The supervisor will be responsible for managing staff productivity, completing quality audits internal to the team, and reviewing/acting on information provided from quality audits performed by the PB Claims Billing Quality Team.
This position will work closely with fellow Billing Services Supervisors, both within the department and from neighboring business units, including: coding, payment posting, credits/refunds, pre-services (registration and authorizations), and others. May also interact with operational analysts from within these same departments or revenue cycle analysts who serve clinical customers.
This specific position will oversee a team tasked with Payor Mapping, which is a pre-claims review process that validates essential filing information originally captured through the registration process. Additionally, this team will manage long term projects covering multiple payors or niche billing scenarios.
Description of Job Responsibilities
1. Maintains a safe, professional, and productive work environment for own team and contributes at the departmental level to promote the same there.
2. Supervises the operations of a cross-disciplinary team providing billing services. Provides direction and oversight to direct reports. Ensures staff complies with relevant regulations.
3. Participates in staff recruitment, hiring and orientation. Selects and appraises employees. Conducts performance evaluations and employee discipline in accordance with UNCHCS policies and procedures. Ensures staff is appropriately trained, maintains employee attendance records.
4. Manages the billing cycle as it relates to claims administration for the assigned area. This may cover multiple payors and any number of clinical specialties. Ensures that all billing related issues are reviewed, researched, and resolved in a satisfactory manner.
5. Performs routine and ad hoc analyses, audits, reporting, and workflow studies as required to ensure revenue optimization. Receives and acts on audit findings provided by the PB Claim Billing Quality team. Monitors staff productivity and ensures that necessary guidance has been provided when goals are not met.
6. Independently, or in collaboration with other teams, develops and implements procedures to optimize revenue generation. Documents new or revised procedures. Ensures staff are aware of, and properly trained in, all procedures.
7. Manages team projects and participate on intra-departmental projects. Lead or serve on recurring task force teams, project workgroups, special projects, and leadership meetings. Develops and implements process improvement plans.
8. Utilizes tools and resources developed within the department to achieve aims. Includes pre-built reports, informational dashboards, and reference material. Fosters development of additional resources within own team.
● Requires Associate's degree in Business, Accounting, Public Administration, or Hospital Administration.
● No licensure or certification required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● If Associate’s degree, three (3) years experience in medical billing operations with at least one (1) year experience in a senior level or team lead role required.
● If High School degree, six (6) years of experience in medical billing operations with at least one (1) year experience in a senior level or team lead role required.
● If Bachelor's degree, one (1) year of experience in medical billing operations with at least one (1) year experience in a senior level or team lead role required.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, governmental regulations, etc. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups or users, managers, external customers, etc.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, type, or feel; regularly required to reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, and sit. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
Legal Employer: NC Health
Entity: Shared Services
Organization Unit: Physician Ins Billing and Foll
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC: Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Yes
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.