Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this winter. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 6520
Location: Raleigh, NC
Facility/Division: UNC REX Healthcare
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 30,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
This position collects extensive data on all new cancer and/or bone marrow transplant patients seen at UNC Hospitals, as required by state law and according to regulations established by various state and national registries
*This position is remote or onsite in the RTP Area
*We are hiring for full time, part time and PRN (Per Diem) positions.
*Location - UNC Rex: Candidate must reside in one of the following states to be considered for these roles: NC, AZ, AR, FL, IA, KY, MD, MS, SC, WI and MI
1. Codes, summarizes, sequences, and stages extracted information according to extensive and complex rules. Performs necessary research, analysis, interpretation and decision-making to best abstract, stage or sequence information.
2. Composes explanatory comments to supplement codes. Conceptualizes the case as a whole and determines what types of supplementary information would augment the data provided by the codes.
3. Conducts quality control activities such as auditing records and conducting data review meetings. Participates with multidisciplinary teams in creating, organizing and providing documentation of established procedures necessary for accreditation.
4. Creates case abstracts for cancer patients, extracting data items from the various medical records
5. Follows-up on each case abstracted for the life of the patient. Ensures that follow-up information is collected for each case annually. Extracts the required information from in-house or external sources. May communicate through written correspondence or telephone to obtain needed data
6. Responds to requests for information. Creates queries to extrapolate data completes ad hoc and routinized reports of data
7. Serves as a liaison within industry and regional groups. Assists with collaborative studies.
● Associate's degree in Health Information Management or related field.
● Certified Tumor Registrar (CTR)
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Six (6) months of cancer tumor registry experience.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: UNC REX Healthcare
Organization Unit: Rex Cancer Registry
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Raleigh
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.