Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current UNC Health employees, please log-in to Employee Self Service to view open jobs, apply for open jobs, and set up your Talent Profile. Creating your Talent Profile will allow you to add credentials, education, and employment history. Once created, your Talent Profile can be used to quickly and efficiently move through the job application process for current and future job applications.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
** Please note: Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this Summer. In the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied. For applicable positions, learn more here. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 6261
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 30,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
UNC Health Care is recruiting a full time mental health occupational therapist, to work with our multidisciplinary team located on the beautiful Medical Center campus of UNC Hospitals.
We are seeking an experienced, dynamic, motivated and team-oriented therapist with experience in an inpatient mental health setting. The occupational therapist will serve as a clinical specialist for the mental health occupational therapy team covering adult services. The occupational therapist will receive training to provide cross coverage to all mental health units. In addition to the clinical role, the occupational therapist will serve as clinical mentor for the child and adolescent modules within the UNC Mental Health Occupational Therapy Fellowship Program.
The occupational therapist shall be responsible for providing a full range of occupational therapy services including assessment, treatment planning and therapeutic interventions in a team environment consistent with the position’s qualifications, professional practices and ethical standards. The successful candidate will be involved in the orientation, training, and oversight of student interns, therapy residents and new employees. The occupational therapist will participate in a variety of professional growth activities and mentorship intended to develop and improve patient care delivery and departmental performance.
The occupational therapist shall also demonstrate accountability for and contribution to program development, quality improvement, problem solving and productivity enhancement in a flexible team fashion.
The selected candidate will work Monday - Friday with occasional weekend and holiday coverage.
1. Diagnostic Testing : Administer basic & complex diagnostic testing and evaluations in the area of Occupational Therapy. Performs as an expert in this competency area, providing specialty education at the graduate and doctoral levels as appropriate.
2. Education: Teaches & supervises graduate Occupational Therapy students, fellows and residents . Develops or contributes to innovative programs to enhance patient care. Serves as resource consultant to other clinicians in respective specialty area. Provides specialty education at the graduate and doctoral levels as appropriate. Acts as clinical trainer for new employees hired into department as needed. Provides clinical supervision and teaching for multiple students and/or staff. Plans orientation, caseload, and other learning activities. Provides regular feedback and coaching.
3. Evaluation of Care: Analyzes results of diagnostic and or therapeutic testing to establish patient goals and or modify subsequent treatment programs. Identifies expected patient outcomes. Communicates relevant information to promote continuity of care. Performs as an expert in this competency area, providing specialty education at the graduate and doctoral levels as appropriate.
4. Implementation: Selects and applies advanced techniques to provide quality and efficient rehabilitative services. Organizes and prioritizes care according to patient/family needs. Performs as an expert in this competency area, providing specialty education at the graduate and doctoral levels as appropriate.
5. Outreach/Community Involvement: Serve as consultant to North Carolina government departments and statewide health professionals in specialty areas. Presents at state or national conferences, participates in community health screening and events. Develops new clinical programs to meet emerging needs.
6. Participation: Contributes to quality of clinical services through attendance and participation in departmental meetings and inservices. Attends staff meetings, huddles etc. and consistently contributes to relevant discussions, acting to lead meetings as needed.
7. Quality: Contributes to quality of clinical services through maintenance of valid & reliable records of patient procedures & progress. Takes the lead in continuous quality improvement efforts in conjunction with the department director.
8. Research: Conducts evidence-based practices reviews for service area and supports clinical research activities. May contribute to or author publications. Participates in research-based committees and may conduct ongoing research to improve the clinical profession. Supports development of EBP for the department by leading Journal Clubs, Special Interest Group discussions and protocol update reviews.
● Graduation from an accredited Occupational Therapy program.
● Licensed as an Occupational Therapist in the state of North Carolina.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Five (5) years of occupational therapy experience including one (1) year in the specialty field of work to which assigned.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Occupational Therapy
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Yes
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.