Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current UNC Health employees, please log-in to Employee Self Service to view open jobs, apply for open jobs, and set up your Talent Profile. Creating your Talent Profile will allow you to add credentials, education, and employment history. Once created, your Talent Profile can be used to quickly and efficiently move through the job application process for current and future job applications.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
** Please note: Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this Summer. In the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied. For applicable positions, learn more here. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 6441
Location: Raleigh, NC
Facility/Division: UNC REX Healthcare
Status: Per Diem
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 30,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Performs a variety of the more specialized medical tissue testing and administrative tasks in support of clinical activities. Work involves preparation of tissue samples, which enable pathologist to determine the cause of death, cause and degree of disease of patient and the course of treatment.
1. Investigates problems with equipment, test results, specimens, and/or workflow.
2. Participates on teams or performs special projects/assignments.
3. Performs quality control and equipment maintenance.
4. Performs routine and more specialized test procedures. Prepares tissue slides by processing, embedding, sectioning, examining, and staining tissues received from surgical pathology, autopsy, hematology, cytology and research areas.
5. Performs teaching of Clinical Laboratory Science students and Pathology residents and training of new employees. Serves as a technical resource.
6. Prepares specimens and reagents, solutions, heat, or filters as required.
7. Provides leadership and guidance to co-workers.
8. Reports results to healthcare providers. Consults/confers with health care providers regarding test results.
9. Reviews test results to ensure accuracy of report and timely correction of errors.
● Bachelor's degree in Medical Technology, Clinical Laboratory Science, Chemistry Science or Biological Science.
● HTL(ASCP) certified by the ASCP Board of Certification (BOC) within two years from date of hire.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● If Bachelor degree plus completion of NAACLS accredited histology program, no years of experience is required.
● If Bachelor degree in biological or chemical science, one (1) year of relevant laboratory experience.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: UNC REX Healthcare
Organization Unit: Rex Anatomic Pathology
Work Type: Per Diem
Standard Hours Per Week: 8.00
Work Schedule: Weekend
Location of Job: US:NC:Raleigh
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.