Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current UNC Health employees, please log-in to Employee Self Service to view open jobs, apply for open jobs, and set up your Talent Profile. Creating your Talent Profile will allow you to add credentials, education, and employment history. Once created, your Talent Profile can be used to quickly and efficiently move through the job application process for current and future job applications.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
** Please note: Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this Summer. In the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied. For applicable positions, learn more here. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 6694
Location: Morrisville, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Physicians Network
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 30,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The Scribe Manager is responsible for the overall direction, development, coordination, implementation, execution, and management of the Scribe Program across all of UNC Physicians Network with expansion to other UNC Health entities. This role is responsible for the strategic planning, implementation, and operations for the Scribe Program and sets overall program goals, policies, and standards. Specifically, the Scribe Manager ensures that scribes support providers, enhance the patient experience, and improves clinic efficiency through UNC Health’s missions and objectives. This role develops strategies for Scribe Program growth, provider burnout, manages relationships and partners with other UNC entities and external parties, provides leadership of scribe staff and personnel issues, maintains high standards of program quality, and ensures compliance with UNC policies. Provides oversight and direction to all scribes in the network as well as the Scribe Supervisor(s) and Scribe Coach(es). The Scribe Manager reports to the Director of Operations and works in collaboration with executive management, senior leadership, system partners, medical directors, providers, practice managers, and staff to achieve organizational goals. This position is accountable for the overall ongoing success and performance of the Scribe Program.
● Prepares and maintains accountability for the overall performance, strategic management, and continued growth of the Scribe Program; establishing and providing leadership for the attainment of service goals in support of the organizational mission and ensuring consistency throughout the Scribe Program
● Provides oversight, direction, supervision, creativity, goals and objectives of the Scribe Program and to direct reports to include Scribe Supervisor(s), Scribe Coach(es), and multiple (over 45+ with persistent growth) scribes within the network, providing direct management of the scribes where appropriate.
● Evaluates performance of Scribe Supervisor(s) and Coach(es), provides feedback, and continuous performance improvement
● Assesses and evaluates each scribe request, conducts scribe assessment and makes recommendations for operational efficiencies utilizing clinic resources and provides innovative solutions, ensuring compliance with the financial goals of each clinical site budget
● Understands the overall financial performance of the organization, applying financial concepts and practices to establish and maintain realistic budgets while collaborating with the Finance Department. Utilizes financial information to monitor overall financial status of scribe operations
● Assumes primary responsibility for the life-cycle of each scribe (preliminary coordination, recruiting, interviewing, hiring, onboarding/training, management, and replacement)
● Manages and monitors program development and partners with Scribe Supervisor(s) and Scribe Coach(es) as well as collaboration with other UNC Health Care System partners to educate and collaborate on enhancing training, identify forthcoming quality assessments/improvements, performance standards for continuous performance improvement, and develops strategies to meet these requirements
● Leads and coordinates all training schedules for the scribe team and clinics, ensuring all scribes are adequately trained, in compliance, engaged, and abiding by UNCPN policy and procedures and assists with training new hires as needed
● Serves as a resource and liaison to scribes, providers, practice managers, and staff regarding scribe scope of practice, including clearly defining the functions of a scribe
● Creates, implements, collaborates, and educates practice managers and providers to execute Scribe Performance Improvement Plans
● Develops strategic, tactical, and innovative plans to support clinical areas, reduce provider burnout, increase efficiency, and grow the scribe program by recruiting new providers and entities for scribe positions
● Compiles and reports relevant operational and financial data to executive management
● Attends PCIC, Dyad, and Committee meetings as well as collaborates with UNC Health executives by sitting on workgroups to provide input on current issues, program successes, and improvement
● Works in collaboration with UNCPN executive management, UNC Health executive management and other entity leadership, medical directors, operational director, provider, practice managers, and staff, as well as UNC Health Care System departments to achieve goals and enhance communication.
● Works in collaboration with other departments to enhance clinical workflows and coordinate the training of clinical appropriate staff
● Assists and collaborates with other UNC Health Care System departments to enhance practice quality and utilization metrics
● Updates executive management on a bi-weekly basis regarding project accomplishments, barriers, and resources needed and next steps via oral and written reports
● Facilities weekly meetings with Scribe Supervisor(s) and Scribe Coach(es) and leads, creates, and presents monthly Scribex (in collaboration with Scribe Supervisor/s) to all scribes for continued education and quality while communicating innatives, gain feedback, and maintain continued focused goals
● Maintain liaison between providers, practice managers, and scribes
● Leads presentations and panels for executive management and UNC Health Care System executive teams to raise awareness for the program, promoting its success and continued growth
● Partners, develops, and maintains excellent relationships with local community institutions and throughout UNC Health where mutual benefit can be realized, such as improving candidate recruiting pools
● Ensures scribe protocols align with all applicable compliance regulations through coordination with UNC Compliance authorities
● Demonstrates the ability to and assists with removing barriers, troubleshooting, effectively solving problems, and providing conflict resolution. Uses appropriate interpersonal styles and methods to reduce tension or conflict. Finds agreements on issues and follows through on implementation
● Makes decisions that produce high-quality results by applying knowledge, constructive resolution of conflicts, analyzing problems, and calculations risks
● Delegates assignments, clarifies expectations, and holds others accountable for achieving results related to their area of responsibility
● Develops and manages reports that organizes and monitors information regarding all scribes within the network and providers in the que
● Leads people towards meeting the organization’s vision, mission, and goals
● Provides an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilities cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts
● Makes decisions that produce high-quality results by applying knowledge, analyzing problems
● Proactively researches and stays up-to-date on government regulations tied to the Scribe Program and identifies where changes are needed
● Assumes all responsibility of the Scribe Supervisor job duties in their absence
● Bachelor's degree in related field.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● ● Requires three (3) years of scribing experience, outpatient preferred
● Requires four or more years of supervisory, managerial, and progressive healthcare experience
● Training and/or curriculum development experience
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● ● Medical Terminology
● EHR experience, preferably EPIC
● Interpersonal skills: Develops and maintains effective relationships with medical staff, employees, patients, and the public.
● Language skills: Ability to read and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, and governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of senior leadership, managers, employees, and the general public
● Mathematical skills: Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations. Spreadsheet skills strongly preferred.
● Reasoning ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
● Demonstrated ability to learn, appropriately apply techniques taught and communicate effectively with others
● Demonstrates the skills necessary to engage in reflective and independent thinking
● Multitasking skills and the ability to tend to multiple problems and projects at a time
● Travel Required
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: UNC Physicians Network
Organization Unit: UNCPN Administration Staff
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Morrisville
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Yes
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.