Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current UNC Health employees, please log-in to Employee Self Service to view open jobs, apply for open jobs, and set up your Talent Profile. Creating your Talent Profile will allow you to add credentials, education, and employment history. Once created, your Talent Profile can be used to quickly and efficiently move through the job application process for current and future job applications.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
** Please note: Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this Summer. In the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied. For applicable positions, learn more here. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 6894
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: Shared Services
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 30,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Reporting to the Director of Clinical Risk Management, the Clinical Risk Manager is responsible for administering the risk management program and ensuring effective loss prevention/control and compliance with state, federal guidelines and UNC Health Care Standards. The primary responsibility of this position is to administer UNC Hospitals and UNC Liability Insurance Trust Fund (LITF) risk management program on a day-to-day basis, documenting, managing and analyzing risk management data, conducting proactive risk assessments, conducting targeted risk management education, and providing risk management consultation with the objective of promoting patient safety and loss prevention activity in protection of organizational assets.
Description of Job Responsibilities:
1. Initiates, coordinates and manages all investigational and evaluation activities associated with professional liability occurrences, including conducting interviews, researching and reviewing policies and procedures, reviewing of electronic medical record documentation and other information sources; analyzes potential and actual professional liability and general liability exposures and evaluates the extent and elements of exposure and recommends appropriate actions for risk mitigation.
2. Follows an enterprise risk management framework (ISO 31000) in risk identification, analysis, evaluation, mitigation and monitoring. Routinely identifies risk through risk assessments, observation, trended data, inspections, committee minutes, third party reports, attorney requests for medical records and administrative or associate referrals. Develops innovative approaches intended to reduce the frequency and severity of medical malpractice and patient injury claims.
3. Manages incident reporting database documentation of reported events; monitors incident reporting system for patient harm events and unanticipated outcomes and investigates accordingly.
4. Manages and implements the organization's risk management program in a manner that fulfills the mission and strategic goals of the organization while complying with state and federal laws and related accreditation standards. Reviews and/or drafts administrative policy and procedures that fall within the risk management domain. Submits reports to appropriate regulatory authorities as required.
5. Provides clinical risk management consultation to all physician and employees insured by the LITF. Prepares and presents reports to management regarding trends, patterns and findings. Advises on the risk of current or future activities or programs conducted at the hospital. Establishes and coordinates committees and councils where indicated to manage high risk events.
6. Facilitates legal consultation from the UNC Health Care System Office of General Counsel to staff and physicians as indicated. Creates and provides education for employees and physicians in relevant risk management topics.
7. Collaborates with assigned departments, Quality/Performance Improvement and Medication Safety Officer to establish quality and safety goals; participates on hospital quality and patient safety committees.
8. Performs special projects that involve data gathering, preparation of reports, development of recommendations and presentations. Participates in professional organization programs throughout the risk management industry by presentation submissions, committee work, or other roles.
Bachelor's degree in a related degree
Professional Experience Requirements:
Five (5) years of combined experience that may include risk management, clinical, quality or legal work experience.
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: Shared Services
Organization Unit: Risk Management
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Yes
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.