Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current UNC Health employees, please log-in to Employee Self Service to view open jobs, apply for open jobs, and set up your Talent Profile. Creating your Talent Profile will allow you to add credentials, education, and employment history. Once created, your Talent Profile can be used to quickly and efficiently move through the job application process for current and future job applications.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
** Please note: Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this Summer. In the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied. For applicable positions, learn more here. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 6907
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: Shared Services
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 30,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Serves as a lead worker over a group of Medical Coders or designated to a specialty high impact team while maintaining a primary work assignment. Educates staff, provides problem resolution and performance information to supervisor. Employees report to a Supervisor but independently handles assigned tasks.
With the potential for remote work after initial training, please note that we only employ candidates who currently reside in, or are willing to relocate to one of the following states:
Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, Wisconsin
1. Accurately assigns International Classification of Diseases 10-CM (ICD-10) diagnostic and Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) codes with modifiers, and other applicable codes. Analyzes information for optimal and proper reimbursement, including coding denial resolution. Ensures compliance with all appropriate coding, billing and data collection regulations and procedures. Uses appropriate software to validate information.
2. Provides information to physicians and other health care staff regarding current coding practices and changes in 3rd party, state and federal regulations and guidelines.
3. Reviews, analyzes and abstracts provider documentation for diagnoses, procedures, ancillary testing, medications, laboratory and other services provided. Obtains missing information and/or clarifies existing documentation.
4. Independently manages high volumes of inventory within departmental standards.
5. Adheres to departmental quality and production standards.
6. Assigns and reviews work of staff. Researches and resolves problems referred by coders. Provides information on performance of coders to supervisor for performance.
7. Provides training and serves as a general resource to assist other coders and members of department staff.
8. Administrative responsibilities as designated by team leadership.
9. Acquires continuing education via UNC Health approved programs and vendors.
10. Maintains requires professional certification.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.