Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current UNC Health employees, please log-in to Employee Self Service to view open jobs, apply for open jobs, and set up your Talent Profile. Creating your Talent Profile will allow you to add credentials, education, and employment history. Once created, your Talent Profile can be used to quickly and efficiently move through the job application process for current and future job applications.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
** Please note: Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this Summer. In the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied. For applicable positions, learn more here. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 7052
Location: Kinston, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Lenoir Health Care
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 30,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The Vice President and Chief Nursing Officer serves as a member of the senior leadership team responsible for the development and execution of the health care system's strategy and operations to ensure safe, high quality and cost effective patient care and services and the direction and oversight of assigned departments, service lines and projects. This position serves as the most senior nurse executive for the organization with responsibility and authority for implementation of organized nursing services for UNC Lenoir Health Care. In addition to Nursing Administration, additional oversight includes:
• Cardiopulominary Services
• Inpatient Rehabilitation
• Pharmacy Services
• Patient Experience
• Quality, Safety & Accreditation
• Staff Development
• Surgical & Anesthesia Services
1. Defines and establishes the goals, objectives, processes, and resources required to support nursing practice and nursing standards development in alignment with the organization’s mission, vision, values, and strategic direction and regulatory requirements; Assumes an active leadership role with Board of Directors, UNC Health, Chief Executive Officer, senior leadership, medical staff, hospital directors, managers and staff, patients/families, volunteers, vendors, visitors and the community. Assumes the authority to speak on behalf of nursing.
2. Assumes primary responsibility and delegates to individuals for projects and special assignments as requested, maintaining time line and keeping colleagues informed of progress toward desired results; Represents nursing practice and patient care contributing to the on-going success of the organization; Evaluates the impact of decisions on the organization as evidenced by a systems thinking approach; Provides leadership in implementation of an effective, ongoing program to measure, analyze, and improve the quality of nursing care provided; Drives necessary and serves as a change agent, utilizing the principles of change management theory in the design, planning, implementation, and evaluation of planned change assisting and supporting staff in understanding the importance, necessity, impact, and process of change.
3. Understands, articulates, and ensures compliance with regulatory requirements and professional organization standards; Maintains knowledge of current leadership and nursing practice including evidence based leadership and clinical practices, care delivery systems, and patient care models incorporating knowledge into planning processes; Applies process/performance improvement principles.
4. Coaches, develops and provides leadership to assigned Nursing Leadership through ongoing dialogue and scheduling of monthly Nursing Leadership meetings; fosters independence and autonomy in Clinical Nurse Managers actively seeking those activities which promote/encourage independent thinking and problem solving behaviors; Maintains credibility with physicians as a champion of patient care, quality, and nursing professionalism; Maintains a sense of presence and support with Board of Directors, Executive Management Team, physicians and staff; Provides leadership and vision in development of organizational orientation and continuing education.
5. Leads the Nursing department’s strategic planning and goal setting process and collaborates with the Nursing Leaders in developing aligned unit based management plans with quarterly reporting of goal achievement; Prepares Nursing Department budget and actively participates in cost management/reduction initiatives identifying areas of inefficiencies or waste to achieve budget compliance and expense reduction; Assesses need for capital equipment; Ensures development of and maintenance of master staffing plan for assigned areas; Champions the delivery of patient/family centered care; provides leadership in development of recruitment and retention strategies designed to attract and retain staff 6. Integrates high ethical standards and core values into all work activities and instills those values into others in department; serves as role model and mentor; assumes role of preceptor/instructor as requested; complies with all organization policies and procedures.
Requires Bachelor’s degree. Master’s degree strongly preferred.
Registered Nurse Licensure in North Carolina
Professional Experience Requirements:
Requires 10-12 years of progressively responsible experience including at least 5 years in hospital management/administration.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Requirements: • Exceptional leadership, interpersonal, networking and communication skills • Strong analytical and problem solving skills • Strong work ethic and character • Self-directed and results oriented • Possesses strong working knowledge of healthcare field including current and future trends, technology and information affecting the field and organization • Excellent organizational skills with ability to prioritize, coordinate and simultaneously maintain multiple projects with high level of quality and productivity • Ability to negotiate and maneuver through complex situations and resolve complicated problems and issues
Legal Employer: UNCLENOIR
Entity: UNC Lenoir Health Care
Organization Unit: Nursing Administration
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Kinston
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Yes
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.