Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this winter. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 6743
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 30,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
This position is eligible for our Clinical Laboratory Incentive Program which includes your choice of $10,000 or $15,000 Tuition Loan Forgiveness or $5,000 Commitment Incentive. To learn more on the incentive program guidelines and eligible positions, visit https://jobs.unchealthcare.org/pages/lab-incentive-program?bid=12881
Cytotechnologists examine a variety of cellular samples (gynecologic and non-gynecologic) to detect the presence of disease and work in collaboration with pathologists, clinicians and other healthcare professionals to provide quality patient care.
1. Microscopically evaluate liquid – based (Thin Prep Imager) gynecologic and non-gynecologic cytopathology
2. Correlate the cytology findings with relevant patient history and clinical findings to detect and provide an interpretation for any pathologic process present.
3. Provide rapid on-site evaluations (ROSE) for a high volume fine needle aspiration (FNA) service.
4. Communicate the FNA adequacy results to the clinicians.
5. Identify appropriate further work-up following cytological evaluation (to include special stains, IHC, and molecular analysis).
6. Provide a differential diagnosis based on synthesis of relevant histologic material, cell block and routine special stains.
7. Provide oversight of the cytology processing laboratory operation.
8. Participate in teaching pathology residents
9. Participate in the laboratory quality improvement and continuing educational programs.
● Bachelor's degree and completion of a one (1) year training program in an American Society for Clinical Pathologists (ASCP) or Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Program (CAAHEP) accredited school of Cytology.
● CT(ASC) certified by the ASCP Board of Certification (BOC) within one year of hire date.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Bachelor's degree and completion of a one (1) year training program in an American Society for Clinical Pathologists (ASCP) or Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Program (CAAHEP) accredited school of Cytology, no years of experience required.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Surgical Pathology
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.