Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current UNC Health employees, please log-in to Employee Self Service to view open jobs, apply for open jobs, and set up your Talent Profile. Creating your Talent Profile will allow you to add credentials, education, and employment history. Once created, your Talent Profile can be used to quickly and efficiently move through the job application process for current and future job applications.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
** Please note: Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this Summer. In the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied. For applicable positions, learn more here. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 6816
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 30,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Performs skilled work in the repair and maintenance of complex hospital electronic systems and equipment. This work includes the diagnosis and analysis of highly technical problems, meeting complex system maintenance and repair needs and the application of broad-based electronic theory to problem solution. Performs at the highest skill level, with minimal supervision, on the most complex systems in solving operating and maintenance problems. The incumbent in this position performs field supervision at high technical skill levels in the electronic field associated with advanced electronic control and communications systems and equipment used in institutional buildings and facilities. Supervision by a Manager/Engineer is nominal or minimal. Other lead capacity work includes work planning and job assignments, setting and meeting shop goals and assistance in assessing employee work performance.
1. Assist and support hospital personnel, designers, engineers and inspection authorities in the test, inspection or commissioning of new project work. This may involve hospital life safety systems, fire alarm, smoke control, sprinkler, fire suppression systems, fire pumps, and security interface systems.
2. Assist in the maintenance of facility electronic systems documentation, document PMs as required, assists or maintain departmental documentation and records in compliance with hospital policies, JCAHO and state requirements. Maintain detailed maintenance records to document compliance with regulations. Inspects completed work for accuracy and compliance with all regulations corrects or reports deficiencies to departmental management.
3. May assume lead worker duties Under the direction of the Electronics Shop Supervisor, provides lead worker duties and technical leadership for other Electronics Shop Employees. Elements Establish work schedules and work plans, provide input into performance evaluations, conducts training on electronic systems for shop employees, acts in the role of the Electronics Shop Supervisor in his absence or unavailability
4. Perform installation, preventative maintenance and repairs on major hospital equipment and systems, such as the hospital fire alarm systems, fire suppression systems, nurse call systems, communications, paging and intercom systems, cable TV systems, and medical gas alarm systems
5. Perform maintenance and repair of other hospital equipment, such as cameras, monitors, microphones, electronic amplification, overhead projectors, TVs, TV/VCR or TV/DVD combinations, DVDs or VCRs, and other facility electronic equipment, typically in a shop environment on a bench.
6. Review construction plans and specifications, perform informal field inspections of related construction work. Provides technical advice for improvement or correction of technical issues related to electronic systems construction, provides staff training as required.
● Associate's degree in Electronics or related field (or equivalent combination of education, training and experience).
● No licensure or certification required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● If an Associate's degree: Five (5) years of progressive experience working with complex electronic systems, to include maintenance, installation, and repair and experience working with fire detection and suppression systems, television systems, communication systems, preferably in hospital or healthcare environment.
● If a High School diploma or GED: Nine (9) years of progressive experience working with complex electronic systems, to include maintenance, installation, and repair and experience working with fire detection and suppression systems, television systems, communication systems, preferably in hospital or healthcare environment.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Maintenance
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.