Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current UNC Health employees, please log-in to Employee Self Service to view open jobs, apply for open jobs, and set up your Talent Profile. Creating your Talent Profile will allow you to add credentials, education, and employment history. Once created, your Talent Profile can be used to quickly and efficiently move through the job application process for current and future job applications.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
** Please note: Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this Summer. In the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied. For applicable positions, learn more here. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 6667
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Shift: Evening Job
Full time evenings: 8- and 10-hour shifts, with weekend and holiday coverage
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 30,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Works in collaboration with the patient/family, and interdisciplinary team (including physicians, other care providers, and payors), and assesses the patient care progression from acute care episode through post discharge for quality, efficiency, and effectiveness. The Utilization Manager works collaboratively with other Clinical Care Management staff to ensure patient needs are met and care delivery is coordinated across the continuum. The Utilization Manager completes admission, continued stay, and discharge reviews in accordance with federal regulations & the Hospitals? Utilization Management Plan. In addition, the Utilization Manager is responsible for revenue protection by reconciling physician orders, bed billing type, and medical necessity. This may include delivering notifications to patients directly. Interface is completed verbally, via email, data base tasks, or other electronic communication and via telephone.
1. Clinical Review Process - Uses approved criteria and conducts admission review/status change review within 24 hours of patient admission to the hospital to ensure appropriateness of the setting and timely implementation of the plan of care. Identifies and obtains observation status as appropriate. Partners with physicians, nursing, and other care providers to help ensure timely and accurate documentation of patient data and treatments. Communicates daily with the Case Manager to manage level of care transitions & appropriate utilization of services. Coordinates with the support center to assure third party payor pre-certification and/or re-certifications when required. Utilizes high risk screening criteria to make appropriate referrals to Manager.
2. Discharge Facilitation - Identifies patient/families with the complex psychosocial, on-going medical discharge planning issues, continuing care needs by initiating appropriate case management referrals. Initiates appropriate social work referrals.
3. Utilization Management Process - Performs utilization management assessments and interventions, using collaboration with interdisciplinary team approach, on assigned patients as appropriate to ensure optimal patient outcomes. Using approved criteria, conducts continued stay and quality reviews to monitor the patient's progress along the continuum of care and intervenes as necessary to ensure appropriateness of setting and that the services provided are quality-driven, efficient, and effective. Enters all pertinent review data into the correct computer system in a timely manner. Consults with Physician Advisor as necessary to resolve barriers through appropriate administrative and medical channels.
4. Utilization Outcomes Management - Monitors and guides to trend interdisciplinary documentation and guides medical staff in documentation that will assist in coding accuracy, enhance quality of care, reflect accurate severity of illness and appropriate reimbursement. Facilitates patient movement to appropriate (acuity) level of care including observation status issues through collaboration with patient/family, multidisciplinary team, third party payors and resource center. Provides information regarding denials and approvals to designated entities. Assists in coordination of practice parameter development with the assigned departments/sections/specialties of Medical Staff. Oversees collection and analysis of patient care and financial data relevant to the target case types. Directs delivery of notifications to patients (includes traveling to hospital(s) to deliver notifications.
● Graduation from a state-accredited school of professional nursing or other professional degree with appropriate clinical and/or project management experience.
● If hired after October 1, 2015, must be enrolled in an accredited program within four years of employment, and obtain a Bachelor's degree with a major in Nursing or a Master's degree with a major in Nursing within seven years of employment date.
● Licensed to practice as a Registered Nurse in the state of North Carolina.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Two (2) years of clinical experience in a medical facility and/or comparable Utilization Management experience.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: UNCH Care Mgmt-Medical Center
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Evening Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Yes
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.