Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this winter. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 6467
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: Shared Services
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 30,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Responsible for performing a variety of complex duties, including but not limited to, working outstanding insurance claims having no response from payors, having claim edits, and/or having received claim form related denials. Maintains A/R at acceptable aging levels by prompt follow-up of unpaid claims and denied claims. Performs all duties in a manner which promotes teamwork and reflects UNC Health Care’s mission and philosophy.
Description of Job Responsibilities:
1. Responsible for the accurate and timely submission of claims, response to denials, and re-bills of insurance claims, and all aspects of insurance follow-up and collections including interfacing with internal and external departments to resolve discrepancies through charge corrections, payment corrections, writeoffs, refunds or other methods.
2. Edit claims (DNB, Coverage Changes, Claim Edits, Stop Bills) within scope of authority (or escalate as needed) to meet and satisfy billing compliance guidelines for electronic submission.
3. Contact insurance carriers to obtain authorizations and referral approvals for services and procedures. Research medical records to gather information and substantiate medical justification for procedures as required by insurance carriers. Submits requested medical information to insurance carrier.
4. Responsible for the analysis and necessary corrections of patient invoices or accounts as it pertains to clean claim submissions or re-bills, and maintaining work queues. Access, review and respond to third party correspondence via Document Management system.
5. Research and resolve a variety of issues relating to posting of payments and charges, insurance denials, secondary billing issues, credit balances, sequencing of charges, and non-payment of claims. Contact patients, physicians and insurance companies to obtain information necessary for invoice or account resolution through write-offs, reversals, adjustments, refunds or other methods.
6. Verify claims adjudication utilizing appropriate resources and applications. Post payments (Insurance and/or Patient) and denials to patient invoices/accounts in a timely and accurate manner. Reconcile accounts, research and resolve a variety of issues relating to posting of payments and charges, insurance denials, secondary billing issues, sequencing of charges, and non-payment of claims.
7. Respond to any assigned correspondence in a timely, professional, and complete manner. Identify issues and/or trends and provide suggestions for resolution to management, including payer, system or escalated account issues. May maintain data tables for systems that support Patient Accounting operations. Evaluate carrier and departmental information and determines data to be included in system tables Job Profile This job profile is intended to provide a representation of responsibilities required. Employees may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this profile.
8. Read and interpret EOB’s (Explanation of Benefits). Maintain basic understanding and knowledge of health insurance plans, policies and procedures. Accurately and thoroughly document the pertinent collection activity performed. Participate and attend meetings, training seminars and in-services to develop job knowledge. Meets/Exceeds Productivity and Quality standards
High school diploma or GED. Licensure/Certification Requirements: No licensure or certification required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
One (1) year of experience in Hospital or Physician Insurance related activities (Authorization, Billing, Follow-Up, CallCenter, or Collections) Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Requirements: Good written and verbal communication skills. Intermediate technical skills including PC and MS Outlook. Intermediate knowledge of UB-04, HCFA 1500, and Explanation of Benefits (EOB) interpretation. Intermediate knowledge of insurance collections and insurance terminology. Knowledge of 3rd party reimbursements from insurance companies and government payers is a plus
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: Shared Services
Organization Unit: Pre-Arrival Unit
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.