Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this summer. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 7113
Location: Raleigh, NC
Facility/Division: UNC REX Healthcare
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 30,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Performs all Perfusionist duties with additional duties to include but not limited to responsibility for oversite of reporting protocols, call schedule, policies and procedures for Perfusion, inventory, specialists procedures book, QA, all pump essential cables and supplies, cell saver schedules all for quality patient outcomes.
1. Maintains an environment of safety for patient, self, and others.
2. Maintains, cleans, and sets up ECE. All ECE alarms, blood flow sensors, pressure gauges, and pumps must be checked and cleaned on a daily basis. Sterile technique is used when setting up the disposable on each pump(i.e. oxygenator, tubing, arterial filter, cardiotomy, cardioplegia, and sensors).
3. Primes extracorporeal life support (ECLS) circuit and cardioplegia delivery system; adding fluids and drugs to the ECLS circuit and cardioplegia delivery system with proper documentation and checklist filled out; ensuring that there is no air in either system and that that they are the appropriate temperatures.
4. Maintains accurate perfusion documentation before and during the pump run. The perfusion documentation includes patient information, pre-operative laboratory data, allergies blood type, body surface area, and blood flow rates. The parameters that are recorded every 10 minutes are blood flow rates, arterial pressure, arterial temperature, and rectal temperature. Additional documentation includes any fluids given or taken off by personnel in operating room , procedures performed, manufactures name of disposable and lot numbers and filling out data sheets.
5. Monitors blood gases while on pump. After initiating bypass both arterial and venous blood gas are drawn to calibrate CDI in the line blood gases monitor. Additional gases are drawn every 45 min. and if needed appropriate measures are taken to correct them.
6. Monitors coagulation status of the patient during bypass. Coagulation status is determined by using ACT. As ACT is drawn prior to bypass and every 30 min. while on bypass. Based on the ACT additional doses of heparin and the protamine dose are determined.
7. Attends annual continuing education. Co-workers are expected to notify either chief perfusionist or surgeon of any questions or concerns. The set up and operation of Intra-aortic balloon pump(IABP) . The set up and operation of CentriMag. Completion of other assigned tasks or projects as delegated by the by the chief perfusionist.
8. Blood conservation procedures and practices to reduce or eliminate patient’s dependency to blood products. Calculates the patient’s hematocrit prior to going on pump and discusses with surgeon if any packed red blood cells are needed to be added to pump prime. Proper set up of cell salvage equipment on all open-heart cases and other procedures that request it. The set up and priming of perioperative hemofiltration and monitoring of activated clotting time(ACT) when requested on open heart cases.
● Bachelors degree in perfusion technology or applied health specialty.
● Completion of an accredited cardiovascular perfusion training program.
● Perfusionist License through the NC Medical Board
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Four (4) years experience as Perfusionist.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public. IT Skills: Ability to work effectively in Word, Excel and various report writing programs. Ability to create reports, analyze data and make sound business decisions based on appropriate information sources. Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: UNC REX Healthcare
Organization Unit: Rex CVOR
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Raleigh
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Yes
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.