Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current UNC Health employees, please log-in to Employee Self Service to view open jobs, apply for open jobs, and set up your Talent Profile. Creating your Talent Profile will allow you to add credentials, education, and employment history. Once created, your Talent Profile can be used to quickly and efficiently move through the job application process for current and future job applications.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
** Please note: Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this Summer. In the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied. For applicable positions, learn more here. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 7383
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 30,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Plans, coordinates and integrates department services within the department and with other departments throughout the organization. Interacts with all departments which impact assigned area.
The Surgical Pathology Lab Manager oversees Histology, Cytology, Autopsy services, Decedent Care, Electron Microscopy service and Pathology front desk administrative staff at UNC Medical Center as well as Pathology services at Hillsborough Hospital. This manager works closely with UNC Pathologists to coordinate operations with McLendon Clinical Laboratories administration. Four (4) years of supervisory experience preferred.
This position is eligible for our Clinical Laboratory Incentive Program which includes a $5,000 Commitment Incentive. To learn more on the incentive program guidelines and eligible positions, visit https://jobs.unchealthcare.org/pages/lab-incentive-program?&bid=12881
1. Plans, coordinates and integrates department services within the department and with other departments throughout the organization. Interacts with all departments which impact assigned area.
2. Coordinates preparation of departmental budget and financial reports, makes recommendations for capital
purchases and provides financial justifications and operational reasoning for proposals. Submits necessary financial
information to Director.
3. Leads department supervisory team and assists supervisors in development and implementation of a workplan(s) for assigned areas of responsibility.
4. Evaluates individual staff member performance and provides ongoing coaching/mentoring/counseling as required.
5. Investigates variances, recommends/implements solutions and tracks actions to correct. Communicates
necessary changes to Director.
6. Maintains accountability for budgetary resources for assigned area of responsibility. Reviews monthly reports to
monitor units, expenses and revenue.
7. Develops and implements policies/procedures that guide and support the provision of services.
8. Acts as a resource for regulatory compliance issues. Develops solutions for corrective action to improve instances
9. Coordinates, leads and participates in performance improvement activities for assigned area of responsibility.
10. Investigates variances, recommends/implements solutions and tracks actions to correct. Communicates necessary changes to Director
● BS Degree in Clinical Laboratory Science, Chemistry, or Biologic Science. A four- year degree is required for Managers of non-testing areas.
● Medical Technologist (MT) certification by the ASCP Board of Certification. Certification not required for non-testing areas. MLS/MT(ASCP), CT(ASCP) or HTL(ASCP) required
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Four to five years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Two years of previous management experience.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to write correspondence, which conforms to, prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors. Mathematical Skills: Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations. Reasoning Ability: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Surgical Pathology
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Yes
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.