Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this summer. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 7996
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: Shared Services
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
In this in-house counsel role, the attorney will be responsible for providing legal advice and services in support of the operations of UNCHCS and its affiliated hospitals and entities. This attorney’s role will include drafting and reviewing clinical contracts, including professional service agreements, of UNC Hospitals and will be expected to become familiar with and handle common legal issues that arise in the health care setting and assist with day-to-day issues, as needed. This attorney will also assigned as the primary legal contact for one of the other hospitals in the UNC Health system. Responsibilities may include:
• Advising, negotiating, drafting, reviewing, and managing contracts with UNC Hospitals, partnering closely with its finance and business team.
• Developing and reviewing policies and procedures to improve and streamline the contracting process.
• Providing legal advice and counsel to administration and clinical staff regarding medical-legal matters, potentially including, but not limited to, informed consent, privacy, confidentiality, credentialing, medical staff issues (including peer review), regulatory requirements, and standard of care issues.
• Analyzing the impact and application of federal and state health care laws and regulations, including Stark, HIPAA, EMTALA, the Civil Monetary Penalties Law, fraud and abuse laws, and Medicare Conditions of Participation in connection with and in relation to the clinical, strategic, and business operations of UNCHCS and its affiliates.
• Assisting risk managers (as part of the department) with a variety of legal issues that arise in the context of reported events and claims.
Applicants must possess a degree from an accredited law school, strong academic credentials, and be licensed to practice law in North Carolina or eligible to seek admission to practice in North Carolina. The successful applicant must have a minimum of five years of relevant experience practicing in a hospital setting, health care environment, or a law firm, where the applicant’s practice included work with healthcare clients and/or work on health law related issues. Experience working with academic medical centers, non-profit and/or public entities is helpful but not required. The successful applicant will be expected to spend at least some days each week on site at UNC Medical Center in Chapel Hill.
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: Shared Services
Organization Unit: Legal Office
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Yes
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.