Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current employees, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For employee referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 7549
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: Shared Services
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Performs technical and administrative work reviewing, abstracting and assigning accepted medical codes for inpatient (Hospital Billing -Health Information Management) diagnoses, procedures and services. Duties are performed in compliance with third party, state and federal regulations according to standardized procedures.
1. Assigns International Classification of Diseases 10-CM diagnostic and ICD-10-PCS procedural codes accurately and productively and other applicable codes such as MS-DRG on inpatient cases for all entities within the Health Care system including Academic Medical Center cases.
2. Groups codes and completed product into payment group.
3. Assigns codes that affect Severity of Illness and Risk of Mortality and Hierarchal Condition Categories (HCCs).
4. Participates in DRG Reconciliation with Clinical Documentation Specialist (CDS).
5. Queries providers when documentation is conflicting, needs clarification and specificity.
6. Analyzes information for optimal and proper reimbursement.
7. Ensures compliance with all appropriate coding, billing and data collection regulations and procedures.
8. Provides information to physicians and other health care staff regarding current coding practices and changes in 3rd party, state and federal regulations and guidelines.
9. Reviews, analyzes and abstracts physician/other documentation for diagnoses, procedures, discharge disposition and other services provided.
10. Obtains missing information and/or to clarifies existing information.
11. Accepts feedback from PWC Smart reviews and makes edits as needed to avoid future errors.
12. Reviews and processes PWC SMART edits.
13. Researches appropriate databases for validation of information.
14. Utilizes a variety of software (e.g. Epic, Optum CAC, MS Office, etc.) to compile and validate medical information.
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.