Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current UNC Health employees, please log-in to Employee Self Service to view open jobs, apply for open jobs, and set up your Talent Profile. Creating your Talent Profile will allow you to add credentials, education, and employment history. Once created, your Talent Profile can be used to quickly and efficiently move through the job application process for current and future job applications.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
** Please note: Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this Summer. In the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied. For applicable positions, learn more here. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 7765
Location: Fuquay-Varina, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Physicians Network
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
This is an entry level position for a medical assistant, who has graduated from an accredited medical assisting program, but who has not yet taken a credentialing exam. This also is a transitional\ position for an experienced non-credentialed medical assistant, who is eligible to take a credentialing exam. The medical assistant provides routine clinical and administrative support to providers and other health care team members in an outpatient clinic setting. Works under the clinical supervision of the provider for patient care activities, and under the general direction of the designated manager/supervisor.
1. Performs rooming and/or intake process, collecting and data, including vital signs, height, weight, and data related to patient’s reason for visit.
2. Collects patient and family data, including medical and social history. Reviews patient’s current medication list, allergies and preferred pharmacy.
3. Assists the provider as directed, during treatments, examinations and procedures. Collects specimens and performs phlebotomy. Administers medications under the direction of a provider.
4. Performs tests, for examples EKG, eye exams, under the direction of a provider. Reviews the patient record to determine whether patient requires any routine health screenings.
5. Ensures exam/procedure room contains appropriate supplies, equipment, forms and educational materials are available and ready for use during visit/procedure. Prepares, cleans, stocks and maintains exam and treatment rooms. Cleans and sterilizes instruments.
6. Provides patient with after-visit, follow-up, self-care or procedural instructions and/or educational materials as directed.
7. Assists with patient registration, check in/check out, appointment scheduling, and scheduling of tests and treatments. Answers clinic telephone and assists in-basket under the direction of a provider or nurse.
● High school diploma or general education degree.
● Prefer candidates with current Basic Life Support Certification from American Heart Association at the time of hire. If selected candidate does not possess BLS, one must be obtained within 30 days of hire.
● Must complete credentialing requirements for the Credentialed Medical Assistant within 90 days of hire.
● Note: Medical Assistants that are hired through an acquisition have 6 months to obtain credentialing from the date of acquisition.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Have been employed as a medical assistant for a minimum of five out of the last seven years, no more than two years of which may have been as an instructor in a post- secondary medical assistant program with work experience including both clinical and administrative duties as required by American Medical Technologists (AMT).
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Ability to perform the essential functions of the position as outlined above.
● Demonstrated effective communication and interpersonal skills.
● Demonstrated ability to engage positively with patients and families and to work as a team with staff and providers
● Ability to use a computer to document required information into the electronic medical record
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: UNC Physicians Network
Organization Unit: UNCPN UNC Fam Med at Fuq Varin
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Fuquay-Varina
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.