Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
**This referral program is applicable to teammates within UNC Health's core facilities and divisions. This includes UNC Health Caldwell, UNC Health Chatham, UNC Health Alliance, UNC Hospitals (UNC Medical Center, UNC Hillsborough, and UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC Health Johnston, UNC Physicians Network, UNC Health Rex, UNC Rex Holly Springs, UNC Health Rockingham, and Shared Services.**
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 7222
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: Shared Services
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
***This position qualifies for a $5,000 commitment incentive, paid over a three (3) year commitment. The first payment will be made within the first thirty (30) days of employment. The remaining will be paid after each six (6) month period of work completed. Learn more here:https://jobs.unchealthcare.org/pages/revenue-cycle-commitment-incentive-program***
THIS IS A CALL CENTER POSITION - This Revenue Cycle Financial Representative will be a member of the Financial Billing Call Center Team. This team is responsible for handling inbound and outbound calls regarding billing and insurance related questions for hospital and physician visits provided within the UNC Health Care System. This position is located at the Chapel Hill - Eastowne Office within the Call Center and Customer Service department. This position will be responsible for performing a variety of complex customer service related functions for patients and/or their representative including collection of prior debt, addressing billing questions, establishing payment plans and responding to MyUNC Chart inquiries and other Customer Service requests. Successful candidates will be able to work independently, well organized and strong attention to detail and ability to multi-task.
Note: This position is a hybrid team member position primarily working remotely with expectations of coming on-site as scheduled.
• Answer and respond to all UNC Health medical billing related customer concerns that are received by telephone, in person and/or writing, while meeting customer and departmental goals and objectives.
• Answer and resolve all inbound inquiries and issues regarding patient account statements, bad debt, financial assistance and other questions.
• Assist with explaining Explanation of benefits (EOBs), balance due, and other patient and insurance billing related scenarios.
• Analyze the patient's problem or issue that is presented by collecting information and data and conducting thorough research of the EPIC patient systems, Onbase for documents that may have been imaged (EOBs, statements, admitting documentation, patient correspondence, etc.), Blue E and other sites as needed.
• Update and document EPIC CRM, notes or system comment fields with all information (i.e. questions, answers, actions, follow up items required); route CRM as appropriate to ensure the proper internal collaboration occurs. • Follow through on all customer issues promptly and accurately until resolved.
• Communicate with the patient, physicians, collection agency, internal departments and all other internal and external customers in a professional, courteous, and respectful manner.
• Post customer service adjustments when supported by policy, contractual adjustments and other adjustments as deemed necessary following appropriate write off guidelines.
• Update insurance information and file and/or appeal claims with insurance companies according to department guidelines.
• Take appropriate actions to bill insurance companies or patients with corrected information including accepting and inputting secondary insurance information into the system and filing claims.
• Research EOBs and payment detail to determine if a patient refund is necessary or determine the nature of the credit balance; coordinate patient refund requests with the credit balance department.
• Validate that charges are correct and request coding review and audit when necessary.
• Provide financial guidance (referral to financial assistance/charity care, payment arrangement vendor, etc.) to patients, guarantors, and attorneys regarding charges for health care services.
• Assist patients that are requesting charity care by providing that patient a copy of the charity care application when requested.
• Produce and mail itemized statements upon request.
• Provide feedback regarding status of the application when requested from a patient.
• Obtain and post credit card payments for accounts including authorized settlements within departmental guidelines.
• Follow department policy necessary for charge corrections, transferring credits, coding changes, service and charge disputes, and locate payments.
• Following appropriate policy, update all system information to accessible fields to include correct registration in formation, address, telephone numbers, guarantor information, employer in formation, insurance information, etc.
• Identify trends in system problems, training or procedural concerns and share with Supervisor.
• Adhere to all HIPAA and confidentiality guidelines.
• Work with a diverse group of internal and external customers (i.e. attorneys, insurance companies, state agencies, physician offices, collection agencies, etc.).
• Work as a team member towards common goals.
• Adhere to a schedule to ensure customer availability and demonstrate flexibility to schedules according to patient or call volume or staffing needs.
• Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
● High school diploma or GED.
● No licensure or certification required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Two (2) years of experience in Hospital or Physician Insurance related activities (Authorization, Billing, Follow-Up, Call-Center, or Collections).
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
● Excellent listening skills, and organizational skills.
● Advanced knowledge of UB-04, HCFA-1500’s and Explanation of Benefits (EOB) interpretation.
● Intermediate knowledge of CPT and ICD-9 codes.
● Advanced knowledge of insurance billing, collections and insurance terminology.
● Ability to work in fast pace environment and prioritize and manage multiple tasks.
● Healthcare terminology.
● Customer Service skills.
● Computer knowledge: MS Word, Excel, and Outlook.
● Knowledge of 3rd party reimbursements from insurance companies and government payers is a plus.
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: Shared Services
Organization Unit: Customer Service Call Center
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.