Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this summer. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 8031
Location: Raleigh, NC
Facility/Division: UNC REX Healthcare
Status: Full Time
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Processes and issues routine and specialized medical/surgical supplies and instruments used in the care and treatment of patients. Cleans, high level disinfects/sterilizes, and packages medical and surgical instrument trays and inventories. This level recognizes the profession of Central Processing Technology staff for advanced performance and leadership in the Perioperative setting.
1. Assembles baskets of instruments, basin sets and equipment using appropriate check lists and prepares for sterilization.
2. Assembles sets of supplies and instruments used in a variety of clinical settings. Checks for cleanliness and functionality (i.e. sharpness of scissors, smooth movement of hinged instruments, etc.)
3. Decontaminates, disinfects and thoroughly cleans supplies, instruments and equipment used in a variety of procedures.
4. Distributes instruments, equipment and supplies to appropriate location.
5. Monitors and maintains adequate levels of supplies, instruments and equipment.
6. Monitors equipment for malfunctions. Makes minor repairs. Notifies appropriate staff of need for more major repairs.
7. Demonstrates knowledge of instrument and equipment IFUs and processes instruments and interacts with equipment according to manufacturer guidelines.
8. Technical-- Demonstrates proficiency in reprocessing and maintenance of endoscopes and other endoscopic equipment per high-level disinfection (HLD) policy and manufacturer instructions (IFU). Maintain scope washers and washer adapters. Check detergent levels and effectiveness of disinfectant as per policy. Effectively communicates information regarding scope repairs, loaners, supplies and QI information by maintaining documentation of all actions.
9. Wears PPE as per policy.
10. Acts as primary preceptor
11. Serves as a leader for troubleshooting and quality improvement and assurance processes.
12. Maintains supplies needed for cleaning and reprocessing, and communicates effectively equipment failures and needed repairs.
13. Accurately records data in appropriate logs .
● High School diploma or GED
● Certification from accredited program for instrument reprocessing
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Two (2) years of central sterile technician experience.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● For UNC Medical Center: Successfully completed SCST portfolio requirements
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: UNC REX Healthcare
Organization Unit: Rex Sterile Processing
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Rotating
Location of Job: US:NC:Raleigh
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.