Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current employees, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For employee referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 8088
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Per Diem
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Provides care of patients by optimizing medication use and drug distribution services. Compounds and dispenses medications using prescriptions authorized by a physician. Instructs patients on medications including drug interaction. Reviews patient medication history for allergies and drug interactions.
1. Receives prescriptions, interprets prescriptions, and reviews the patient's medication profile /history. Clarifies incomplete, inaccurate, or contraindicated prescriptions with the prescriber, nurse, or other health professional, as appropriate. Identifies and intervenes on problems related to the medication needs of the patient.
2. Utilizes and analyzes patient data to provide optimal drug therapy recommendations. Assesses the patient's medication therapy regimen and makes appropriate clinical interventions with the provider. Performs protocol-driven clinical services such as IV to oral dosing, stewardship activities, etc
3. Compounds and oversees the preparation and dispensing of medications including sterile products using standard formulas, processes and procedures as required.
4. Complies with the medication formulary, and therapeutic substitution and other programs designed to optimize drug therapy while minimizing cost as required.
5. Completes required documentation such as notations in the medical record, controlled substances documentation, cash register reconciliation, competency, etc. as required.
6. Counsels patients and appropriate family members regarding pharmaceutical care issues as requested or required.
7. Directs workflow of the shift and supervises pharmacy technicians, students, and/or volunteers present during that shift.
8. Adheres to federal, state, local and institutional policies, procedures, standards and regulations.
9. Identifies and participates in process improvement opportunities.
10. Precepts students, residents and participates in training new pharmacy staff as required.
● Bachelor's degree in Pharmacy.
● Licensed as a Registered Pharmacist and eligible to practice pharmacy in the state of North Carolina.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● No prior experience required.
1. The Per Diem Pharmacist may be required to travel to offsite UNC Medical Center based locations within the state of North Carolina for training and staffing as requested
2. The Per Diem Pharmacist will be required to maintain and complete competencies in a timely manner that are necessary for meeting compliance with sterile compounding standards, regulatory standards, and UNC employee requirements
3. In the event that coverage is requested at more than one UNC location, the Per Diem Pharmacist must first prioritize the UNC Offsite Infusion Center Pharmacy locations
4. At a minimum, the Per Diem Pharmacist must be available for one staffing shift per month at 1 of the 4 offsite infusion center locations
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Pharmacy Administration
Work Type: Per Diem
Standard Hours Per Week: 8.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.