Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this summer. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 8930
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Faculty Physicians
Status: Full Time
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
This position will be providing athletic training services in a hybrid setting in local high schools and an orthopaedic clinic in Chatham County, North Carolina. The athletic trainer will provide continuity of care to high school athletes and the community, working in partnership with athletic directors and sports physicians.
This position will require that the applicant possesses the clinical evaluation and educational skills expected of an athletic trainer working in a physician extender role. The athletic trainer is responsible for the following functions regarding athletic injuries prevention, assessment, treatment, and reconditioning as set forth by the NATA Board of certification. The athletic trainer will demonstrate proper taping, strapping, bracing, and fitting of athletic equipment. The athletic trainer will carry out all prescribed treatments and recommendations by the team/program/event physician.
High School Duties
• Develop plans for providing athletic training coverage at all interscholastic athletic events identified in Athletic Training Program Coverage Policy.
• Establish and maintain a budget for athletic training supplies/equipment
• Establish daily hours of operation for the athletic training facility.
• Develop comprehensive venue and condition-specific emergency action plans.
• Initiate and administer an athletic training student-aide program per the school’s clubs and activities guidelines and state law.
• Establish a working relationship with a designated team physician and community physicians.
• Establish a working relationship with school nursing staff.
• Complete (school systems) policies training to include: Blood Borne Pathogens Exposure Control Plan training and comply with the regulations therein.
• Maintain adequate medical records on all injuries and rehabilitation procedures.
• Comply with all policies regarding health care delivery as indicated by the school systems regulations and outlined in the Athletic Injury Management section of the school’s athletic training program policies and procedures manual.
• Develop coach’s professional development for CPR/AED, Concussion, Heat Illness, Sudden Cardiac Death, Sickle Cell
Physician Practice Duties
• Responsible for following patient care from check-in to check out.
• Liaison between patient, physician, or physician office staff.
• Responsible for taking patient history, initial evaluation, and documentation.
• Design and educate patients on home exercise protocols per the physician’s request.
• Responsible for patient setup and education of in-office procedures.
• Prepares for and assists physicians with in-office procedures.
• Responsible for brace and crutch fitting and product education.
• Triage patient messages, phone calls, and questions appropriately, whether resolving issues within the scope of practice or utilizing physician, nurse triage, and other ancillary staff as needed.
• Responsible for maintaining clinic flow between all areas of the clinic.
• Completes special projects as assigned.
• Counsel patient regarding diagnosis, treatment options, and outcomes.
● Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate discipline.
● Certified Athletic Trainer (ATC) certification
● Licensed as an Athletic Trainer by the North Carolina Board of Athletic Trainer Examiners or license eligible.
● Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certification
● Automated External Defibrillator (AED) certification
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Two (2) years of experience as an athletic trainer.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the use of relevant medical terminology.
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Faculty Physicians
Organization Unit: SOM Orthopaedics
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Variable
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Yes
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.