Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this summer. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 9454
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
This position provides professional and technical oversight in planning, organizing and coordinating all aspects of the following NFS programs: Hospitality Suite, Inventory Connect, Operations Connect, Tray in Motion, Web Menus, Nextep Online Ordering system, NFS Sharepoint Sites/Intranet Page, nutrition-related EPIC support. Performs technical and administrative work involving the maintenance of a database of information and fourth- generation language programming (e.g., Access) and serves as the main information systems liaison between the department, ISD, other staff, and external vendors or organizations, ensuring that the systems are maintained and updated to meet the needs of the organization. Ensure compliance with regulatory standards for patient therapeutic diet menus and nutrient analysis.
1. This position performs duties independently on a day-to-day basis and reports directly to the Associate Director of Clinical Nutrition. Supports the UNC Medical Center, Hillsborough Hospital, Chatham Hospital, Clinical Call Center, and Morrisville café, and coordinates NFS Informatics activities with other services in the medical center. 2. Compiles, formats, and prepares reports using various software packages, which includes researching and gathering data from multiple sources. Merges data or links databases, develops complex queries to extrapolate statistics and data from the database for ad hoc reports. Develops programs or other production criteria to develop the data reports requested or coordinates with the computer production staff to schedule production.. 3. Ensures upgrades to the NFS diet systems are made. Evaluates and tests new applications or enhancements. 4. Collaborates with EPIC and Computrition system employees for interface testing and medical nutrition therapy orders. 5. Participates in the All-Affiliate Clinical Nutrition monthly meetings to enhance alignment of menus, diet orders, etc. across the UNC system. Attends and participates in monthly iCIG meetings and other related hospital committees as pertinent. 6. May perform special projects or assignments. May supervise staff or oversee data input. 7. Coordinates the use of the Computrition program within NFS including training new staff on system. Oversees all Computrition functions that integrate the automation of Foodservice Operations Management (FOM) and Nutrition Care Management (NCM). Responsible for keeping Computrition up-to-date and orderly. 8. Creates reports via Business Objects and EPIC for RD productivity, admission screening, malnutrition reimbursement, and other reports to support the clinical nutrition and food services business needs. 9. Oversees recipe/menu planning, standardization, nutritional analysis; automated ordering/purchasing, inventory and forecasting. Updates vendor item prices with updated cost information automatically reflecting at the food item, recipe, and menu level; pull sheets and inventory reports and all other items associated with FOM. Oversees the medical nutrition therapy section of Computrition. Includes the following: likes, dislikes and allergies; nourishments; smart substitutions; patient satisfaction; diet order history; diet tally; food and drug interactions and all other items associated with NCM. 10. Coordinates with NFS Management in implementing a select menu process via Computrition. Oversees the clinical dietetics sections as they relate to Computrition activities of nutrition screening, nutrition assessment, diet order entry, tube feeding and supplemental feeding orders, patient food preferences, standing orders, specific diet pattern calculations and nutrient analysis of meals. 11. Oversees automation of food production activities in Computrition as they relate to service and distribution, inventory and cost management, ingredient lists, recipe expansion, menu and recipe nutrient analysis, meal and diet pattern development and implementation and upkeep of tray ticket printing and data needed for NFS annual report. 12. Develops regular and modified diet menus for facility patients. Monitors nutritional analysis to ensure compliance with diet manual. Plans the menus for scheduled special meals and holidays, gives guidance to Executive Chef in menu planning. Responsible for conducting monthly menu conferences with food production staff. 13. Develop processes for incorporating Inventory Connect into patient services and retail operations. Create and maintain dashboards to support business operations, reduce cost, and improve patient care through enhanced supply chain management. 14. Provide technical and systems support for infant, pediatric, and adult formula inventory and management. Assist with formula and human milk related initiatives and process changes in the Human Milk and Specialty Formula Room. 15. Responsible for weekly and monthly departmental reporting on outcomes metrics, including weekly production tallies, employee productivity reports, and tray time analysis. Maintains productivity standards and practices, effective time management, and prioritizing of task through reporting on Operations and Tray in Motion data. 16. Assists in achieving compliance with regulatory agency standards, including state, federal, and Joint Commission (JC) and Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) standards. Additionally, this position acts as the process improvement coach for the department, and will be expected to attend Kaizen Coach training and to facilitate improvement projects within NFS, driven by data generated by the Computrition system. 17. Provides training and support to end users regarding data collection, input, and analysis and/or in the use of new or changing applications systems. Assists staff and serves as a resource for others. 18. Responsible for the administration and maintenance of a database. Manages all aspects of data collection, data verification, data quality assurance and analysis. Establishes policies and procedures regarding the administration of the database.
● Bachelor’s degree at a US regionally accredited university or college and course work accredited or approved by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND) of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
● Completion of a Coordinated Program in Dietetics or Dietetic Internship accredited by ACEND (Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics) of no less than 900 hours (1200 hours for graduates of programs beginning 2012)
● Registered Dietitian (RD) by The Commission of Dietetic Registration (CDR)
● Licensed as a Dietitian/Nutritionist (LDN) by the North Carolina Board of Dietetics and Nutrition. (Certain positions may allow licensure to be obtained within one (1) month from date of hire).
Professional Experience Requirements: Four (4) years of experience as a dietitian in an acute care clinical environment, foodservice, or research setting. One (1) year of experience in data informatics, data system management, or program management.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements: Comprehensive knowledge and application of medical nutrition therapy, including the nutrition care process. Ability to organize and gather data, interpret results, and prepare reports. Ability to communicate effectively in written, verbal, and electronic formats with patients, staff, physicians, nurses, and administrators. Ability to organize tasks and work independently.
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: NFS Senior Staff
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.