Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this summer. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 9321
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
This is advanced or supervisory work in the general and specific repair and maintenance of hospital buildings, grounds, vehicles, facilities, equipment, electrical generation prime movers and mechanical devices. This positions functions as the lead person on a maintenance team and plans, schedules, and assigns work tasks, assesses work performance and assists with performance reviews.
1. Conducts hospital fire drills, maintain all hospital fire prevention and extinguishing equipment, and provide fire response efforts for emergencies.
2. Maintains all UNC Hospital buildings and facilities on site and at other locations to comply with hospital maintenance policies for the safety and comfort of patients, staff and visitors.
3. Performs operational tests and provide maintenance of the laundry chute system and emergency stairwells to meet JCAHO requirements, the Life Safety Code and UNC Hospital policies
4. Performs unscheduled repair of people movers as needed on an emergency basis.
5. Receives work orders and schedules tasks. Prepares work schedules for Maintenance Mechanics I and II. Reviews work in progress and at completion for adherence to quality and safety standards. Functions as the lead person on a maintenance team and plans, schedules, and assigns work tasks, assesses work performance and assists with performance reviews.
6. Repairs and maintains various life safety equipment, including vacuum pumps, life saving mechanical equipment and emergency generator prime movers, equipment, beds, stretchers, examination tables, delivery tables, examination chairs, OR equipment and similar equipment and devices used in the Hospital. Repairs and maintains a facility-wide computerized tube system used to transport materials such as drugs, laboratory specimens, and forms or letters and maintains the facility wide automatic door system.
7. Selects and repairs suitable materials (windows, doors, roofing materials, flooring) to match existing materials or devices in use throughout all hospital buildings.
8. May supervise or perform highly skilled work in general maintenance and repair of buildings, related equipment, and plumbing, heating/cooling, and/or electrical systems.
● High School diploma or GED
● No licensure or certification required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Five (5) years of experience in the performance of the full range of journey level tasks associated with two (2) or more highly complex mechanical or building trades.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Maintenance
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.