Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this summer. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 9318
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Manages daily department activities for maintenance, capital construction, engineering, budget, department purchasing, contracts, organization and supervision of assigned staff.
1. Assists in planning and administration of proposed and approved capital improvement projects. Including, but not be limited to, assistance with the design, serving as a liaison with outside designers, serving as the hospital's representative on the construction site, administering the funds, coordination of equipment installations and a host of other duties. Oversees, monitor and direct inspections of construction sites to ensure the project is being built according to plans, review specifications and code requirements monitor and track project schedules and budgets to ensure timely completion of each major part review change orders and approve, reject, or negotiate their disposition function as capital projects coordinator and approve payments to contractors and designers.
2. Direct responsibility for supervision and management of all positions in Plant Engineering.
3. Plan, administer, and account for the departmental operating, facility improvement, capital improvement, and hospital utility budgets. Oversees the administration of departmental records on contracts and expenditures for both operational and capital improvement funded Projects.
4. Responsible for making the final technical decisions in multiple engineering fields oversees, monitors and directs inspections of construction sites to ensure the project is being built according to plans, specifications and code requirements monitors and tracks project schedules and budgets to ensure timely completion of each major part reviews change orders and approves, rejects, or negotiates their disposition functions as capital projects coordinator and approve payments to contractors and designers. Directs the analysis evaluation and troubleshooting of existing facilities and systems oversee and provide engineering consultation to operational departments supervise property transactions coordinate the preparation of bid documents, plans and specifications for contract work plan project schedules and oversee the final inspection, project close out and completion of warranty work.
5. This position is primarily responsible for supervisory, administrative and engineering work in maintenance operations, contract administration, construction monitoring, inspection and management of maintenance, repair, design, renovations and new capital construction projects. The position directs, supervises, plans, reviews and evaluates the work of subordinate engineers, technicians and tradesman oversee and evaluates on-the-job and outside training and develops and make adjustments to objectives, assignments, schedules and priorities.
● Bachelor's degree in Mechanical, Electrical or Civil Engineering, Facilities Management, Business Administration (or equivalent combination of education, training and experience).
● No licensure or certification required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● If a Bachelor's degree: Seven (7) years progressive experience in engineering project design and management facilities operations and management and business operations.
● If an Associate's degree: Eleven (11) years progressive experience in engineering project design and management facilities operations and management and business operations.
● If a High School diploma or GED: Fifteen (15) years progressive experience in engineering project design and management facilities operations and management and business operations.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Through knowledge of the principles, practices and theories of multiple fields of engineering and facilities management. Through knowledge of the materials, design practices, operational requirements and of the codes, laws and ordinances pertaining to the engineering fields supervised. Ability to design and/or review the design of outside consultants and to read and interpret all related plans and specifications. Ability to estimate costs for engineering projects, monitor and manage construction projects, and to technically and administratively direct others and review and evaluate their work. Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing, and to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Maintenance
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Yes
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.