Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
**This referral program is applicable to teammates within UNC Health's core facilities and divisions. This includes UNC Health Caldwell, UNC Health Chatham, UNC Health Alliance, UNC Hospitals (UNC Medical Center, UNC WakeBrook, UNC Hillsborough, and UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC Health Johnston, UNC Physicians Network, UNC Health Rex, UNC Rex Holly Springs, UNC Health Rockingham, and Shared Services.**
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health teammates also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 9391
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Performs skilled work in the repair, construction, and maintenance of various refrigeration and air conditioning systems, including associated air handling, control devices and equipment, heating, ventilation, chilled water distribution systems, chillers and energy management control systems. Work is performed on rotating shifts and/or set day/evening/night work schedules as required.
1. Analyze building heating and cooling systems and recommend modifications to achieve better operation and energy efficiency.
2. Completes required documentation for records and reports in a timely and complete fashion.
3. Conduct repairs and operations of all systems on an emergency basis when working the rotating shifts
4. Install, repair and maintain various HVAC, chilled water and/or refrigeration systems. Install, repair and maintain pneumatic control systems and associated components and equipment installed and used in any HVAC, chilled water, refrigeration and/or medical air systems.
5. Perform maintenance and operational tests on HVAC, chilled water, refrigeration and/or hot water system devices, using equipment such as refrigerant recovery systems and refrigerant pressure gauges. If assigned, perform all required tests and maintain the HVAC systems to meet Infection Control requirements. May also respond to patient and staff complaints regarding heating and cooling problems.
6. Perform system troubleshooting and repair of chilled water, HVAC and/or refrigeration control circuits and equipment properly using a variety of electronics and electrical test equipment, system and device drawings, air monitor output results and/or chilled water reports. Perform preventative maintenance and repair of refrigeration, chilled water, air conditioning and/or air handling equipment. Perform computerized energy system monitoring. May record, analyze and use operational data of chillers in accordance with preset parameters.
7. Provide first response fire brigade and disaster relief and support as required or requested.
8. Schedules and completes work assignments received at level of independence defined for job level.
● High School diploma or GED
● Chlorofluorocarbon (CFC) certification for all levels of work performed to meet EPA Type I, II, III or Universal Technician requirements as referenced in 40 CFR part 82, subpart F.
● Heating Contractors, Group 3 Class I license or Refrigeration Contractors license for Technician level work.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Six (6) years of direct experience in the installation, maintenance and repair of HVAC, air handling, chiller, chilled water distribution, refrigeration and control systems, including progressive experience in problem solving and system troubleshooting.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Maintenance
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.
Learn further E-Verify details in E-Verify (English) or E-Verify (Spanish).
UNC Health supports your right to work. View the Right of Work Statement (English) or Right of Work Statement (Spanish).
View the KNOW YOUR RIGHTS (English) or the KNOW YOUR RIGHTS (Spanish)posters.
View the PAY TRANSPARENCY (English) or the PAY TRANSPARENCY (Spanish)Nondiscrimination provision posters.
View the Federal Workplace poster. View our EEO/AA Policy Statement.