Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
**This referral program is applicable to teammates within UNC Health's core facilities and divisions. This includes UNC Health Caldwell, UNC Health Chatham, UNC Health Alliance, UNC Hospitals (UNC Medical Center, UNC WakeBrook, UNC Hillsborough, and UNC Faculty Physicians), UNC Health Johnston, UNC Physicians Network, UNC Health Rex, UNC Rex Holly Springs, UNC Health Rockingham, and Shared Services.**
Current teammates, looking to refer someone? Check out our Teammate Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current teammates, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For teammate referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 8703
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: Shared Services
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve. With the potential for remote work after initial training, please note that we only employ candidates who currently reside in, or are willing to relocate to one of the following states: Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, Wisconsin
Performs technical and administrative work reviewing, abstracting and assigning accepted medical CPT, HCPCS and ICD-10 codes for professional services. Duties are performed in compliance with third party, state and federal regulations according to standardized procedures. Employees report to an administrative superior but independently handle assigned tasks. After successful completion of training program and consistently achieving productivity/quality measures, employee may be eligible for remote coding assignments.
1. Accurately assigns International Classification of Diseases 10-CM (ICD-10) diagnostic and Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) codes with modifiers, and other applicable codes. Analyzes information for optimal and proper reimbursement, including coding denial resolution. Ensures compliance with all appropriate coding, billing and data collection regulations and procedures. Uses appropriate software to validate information.
2. Provides information to physicians and other health care staff regarding current coding practices and changes in 3rd party, state and federal regulations and guidelines.
3. Reviews, analyzes and abstracts provider documentation for diagnoses, procedures, ancillary testing, medications, laboratory and other services provided. Obtains missing information and/or clarifies existing documentation.
4. Independently manages high volumes of inventory within departmental standards.
5. Adheres to departmental quality and production standards.
6. Acquires continuing education via UNC Physicians approved programs and vendors.
7. Maintains requires professional certification.
● High School diploma or GED and Successful completion of the UNC HCS SS Rev Cycle Physician Coder Proficiency Test.
● Must have one of the following: -AAPC (American Academy of Professional Coders) certification-AHIMA (American Health Information Management Association) CCSP Certification-If AAPC certification other than CPC or CCSP, candidate will have up to 1 year to obtain CPC or CCSP certification
Professional Experience Requirements:
● 6 Months of professional work history
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: Shared Services
Organization Unit: Physician Rev Cycle Coding
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Goldsboro
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, status as a protected veteran or political affiliation.
All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please refer to our Employment Application Accessibility page if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
To verify employment eligibility, UNC Health is committed to Form I-9 and the E-Verify process.