Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
Current employees, please ensure that you submit your candidate in our system, before they apply. For employee referral guidelines and eligibility, click here.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 9851
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Our Labor & Delivery Unit is a Level III referral center, which provides care to both normal and high-risk laboring and ante partum patients. Approximately 3,800 babies are born each year at UNCH. Several thousand patients are also seen in its triage area. In addition, our providers and staff perform numerous high-risk procedures such as vaginal and cerclage placements, amniocentesis and versions as well as various fetal procedures, including IUTs, fetal shunt placements and exit procedures. The unit consists of 15 labor and delivery rooms, 5 triage rooms, a 2-bed recovery room, and 3 operating rooms. Anesthesia coverage is provided 24/7.
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
This position supervises large clinical units. Duties include ensuring that appropriate care and services are available to patients and families, ensures adequate and appropriate clinic staffing on each shift, supervision of nursing staff, medical support staff and utility aide staff, assistance with annual performance reviews of staff, participation in quality improvement initiatives to address identified patient safety or quality of care issues. Provides and facilitates an environment conducive to staff continuing education needs, ongoing unit-based educational needs and orientation of staff members.
1. Patient Care- Ensures that appropriate care and services are available to patients / clients and families. Facilitates interdisciplinary collaboration in patient/client care planning. Ensures appropriate clinical staffing and skill mix for patient care. Supervises team of professionals /paraprofessionals which may include nursing staff, health unit coordinators, nursing assistants and utility aides.
2. Human Resource Management- Effectively manages human resources. Creates an environment conducive to recruiting and retaining staff. Applies organizational policy and procedures in hiring, promoting, transferring and terminating staff. Provides staff with annual performance feedback and opportunity to set professional goals. Integrates scientific evidence regarding retention of nursing staff into unit planning.
3. Budget Management- Effectively uses clinical and financial information to establish and meet budgetary goals. Implements strategies to increase revenue and cost effectively manage personnel, supply, and equipment resources. Evaluates the impact of strategic fiscal changes on quality outcomes.
4. Accreditation Issues- Ensures that internal and external regulatory standards or nursing practice are met or exceeded. This includes organizational policy and procedures as well as state, Joint Commission, Board of Nursing and other specified accrediting bodies. Integrate current scientific evidence with standards of practice.
5. Quality Improvement- Leads and participates in quality improvement initiatives that focus on identified patient safety or quality of care deficits.
6. Education- Creates an educational environment conducive to student learning, staff continuing education, and orientation of new staff members. Accountable for annual competency evaluation of staff that ensures staff has the knowledge and skills to care for the specified patient population.
7. Customer Satisfaction- Ensures high customer satisfaction. Communicates patient satisfaction results, letters and comments to staff and leads monthly initiatives to improve consumer satisfaction with care and services. Advocates for consumers within the organization, particularly for vulnerable or at risk populations.
● Bachelor's degree in Nursing (BSN) from a state-accredited school of professional nursing.
● Licensed to practice as a Registered Nurse in the state of North Carolina.
● Professional certification (ANCC Magnet approved) relevant to Management, Leadership or Clinical Area is required within the probationary period of employment.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Three (3) years of professional nursing in tertiary care and one (1) year of management experience in specialty area.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Labor & Delivery
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US: NC: Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Yes
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.