Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this summer. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 9988
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Faculty Physicians
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 30,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The Administrative Specialist at the Patient Access Center works within a team setting to provide non-clinical administrative support to a team of providers in assigned departments/clinics and performs duties that include answering calls, scheduling appointments, verifying medical insurance, and updating medical records. The Administrative Specialist can expect to encounter complex scheduling or customer service needs and is considered the subject matter authority in the administrative area for the department/clinic.
To ensure success, the Administrative Specialist should possess extensive experience in medical office administration and have the ability to create an efficient and patient-centered environment. The ideal candidate should be comfortable with multi-tasking to complete detailed-oriented and high-volume work.
1. Answering calls in a timely and welcoming fashion.
2. Scheduling and confirming appointments, tests, treatments, and other procedures.
3. Obtaining and updating patients' personal and health information.
4. Creating and maintaining electronic health records.
5. Managing incoming and outgoing referrals.
6. Managing inquiries and relaying messages about scheduling, clinical concerns, and prescription refills.
7. Verifying medical insurance information, as well as mediating between patients and medical insurers.
8. Verifying and entering co-payments for appointments into an electronic billing system.
9. Following decision making algorithms in the management of complex administrative or clinical concerns, to ensure optimal patient safety and satisfaction.
10. Maintaining an understanding of clinic needs and staying up to date on changes so that process adjustments can be implemented as needed.
11. Coordinating and completing special projects independently or in cooperation with other groups as assigned.
● High School diploma or GED
● No licensure or certification required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Two (2) years of clerical or administrative experience
● If Bachelor's degree, no years of clerical or administrative experience
● If Associate's degree, one (1) year of clerical or administrative experience
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Customer Focus: makes the customer and their needs their top priority and goes the extra mile to satisfy their customers. Demonstrates the ability to resolve customer problems. Technical expertise: understands the technical aspects of one’s job. Effectively uses Microsoft office products in order to produce reports and documents. Demonstrates the ability to learn and master the scheduling system as appropriate Coachability: Receptive to feedback, willing to learn and embraces continuous improvement Accountability: Manages performance to meet expected results. Works to meet the internal/external customer requirements. Fiscal responsibility: Understands the insurance process and seeks to make the best decision/referral in the interest of the customer. Understands the relationship of the budget and resources to the strategic plan. Coaching: Shares information, advice and suggestions to help others to be more successful. Provides appropriate support and acts as a resource depending on the situation and capabilities of the employee. Conflict Resolution: Uses appropriate interpersonal styles and methods to reduce tension or conflict between two or more people. Finds agreement on issues and follows through on implementation Solving Problems: Uses logic and intuition to arrive at decisions or solutions to problems that achieve the desired outcome.
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Faculty Physicians
Organization Unit: FP PAC operations pay
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.