Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this summer. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 9412
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
This position is eligible for our Clinical Laboratory Commitment Incentive of $5,000. To learn more on the incentive program guidelines and eligible positions, visit https://jobs.unchealthcare.org/pages/lab-incentive-program?&bid=12881
Provides supervision of laboratory services and personnel for one or more clinical laboratories. Responsibility and accountability may be for a single shift or 24/7.
The Cytogenetics Medical Laboratory Supervisor provides supervision of laboratory services and personnel and serves as a technical resource in the UNC McLendon Clinical Laboratories Cytogenetics Lab. Personnel supervision duties include but are not limited to, scheduling, onboarding and training new staff and conducting performance reviews. Additional duties include supporting the Laboratory Manager with accreditation maintenance, budget preparation, quality assurance monitoring and quality improvement initiatives. Applicants must have excellent written and verbal communication, as well as strong leadership skills needed to manage projects and guide staff in achieving their goals. This individual will play a lead role in supporting the overall goals and objectives of the Cytogenetics Laboratory and the McLendon Clinical Labs.
Hours: Monday through Friday 8:30am – 5:00pm
1. Collects and analyzes data to evaluate products, processes, procedures, and laboratory needs.
2. Coordinates various programs and implements processes with other departments. Serves as a resource for employees, healthcare providers and professionals within and outside the UNCHCS.
3. Ensures compliance with regulatory guidelines. Establishes and reviews policies and procedures.
4. Manages personnel and administers personnel policies in accordance with the Healthcare Systems personnel policies. Responsible for Human Resource functions which include recruiting/hiring, performance evaluations, training, counseling and disciplinary action.
5. May perform teaching of Clinical Laboratory Science students and Pathology residents and fellows and new employees.
6. Provides input into the budget process (capital and equipment) by analyzing capital development needs and assessing the impact of new programs.
7. Provides leadership to laboratory staff to meet organizational goals.
● Requires Bachelor's of Science degree.
● Requires MLS/MT (ASCP), MT (NCA) or MT (AMT) certification for general lab supervision, CG (ASCP) if supervising Cytogenetics, CT (ASCP) if supervising Cytology or HTL (ASCP) if supervising Histology
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Requires four years of experience at the medical laboratory technologist, cytogenetic technologist, cytotechnologist, or histotechnologist level.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: UNCH Molecular And Cytogenetics
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Yes
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.