Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this winter. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 9302
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Faculty Physicians
Status: Full Time
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
This job description describes the responsibilities of a certified nurse midwife (described with term midwife for rest of this document) assigned within the Midwifery Division, University of North Carolina, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology.The midwife will provide full-range obstetrical and gynecological heath care services in an established midwifery clinical practice.The practice has two outpatient clinical sites and performs call at the University of North Carolina’s Women’s Hospital, Chapel Hill, North Carolina. This midwife’s responsibilities include shared clinical and in-house obstetrical call duties that are distributed in a reasonable and equitable distribution among the division’s midwives. Night, weekend, and holiday call work is included with in-house call.Although the routine duties expected are on average 2 clinic days and 2 call days (a day/a night) a week, it will be required to share the extra workload when other midwives are on vacation, ill or any other scenarios that might occur.
This midwife is expected to assist in meeting any clinical, intrapartum, postpartum, and administrative goals identified by the Midwifery Division and the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology.One such goal is to meet an annual determined median-derived wRVU productivity benchmark. In the current fiscal year this benchmark is 2288 wRVUs.
Clinical duties include global obstetrical care: antepartum, postpartum, and minor health problems during pregnancy of low to medium risk patients.In addition, this midwife will provide well gynecological care and management of health care problems within the scope of midwifery.Obstetrical call duties include in hospital intrapartum and postpartum care for midwifery patients, assisting the OB team with patient flow during high risk/high number situations and responding to emergent inpatient obstetrical/postpartum events with the OB team as needed.
This midwife will have additional duties including educating professional health care students, developing women’s ambulatory service programs, participating in risk management/quality assurance programs, and participating in hospital/departmental activities.
The certified nurse midwife (CNM) is an advanced practice nurse who is responsible for the assessment, plan, implementation and evaluation of nurse midwifery care delivered to antepartum, intrapartum and postpartum, and newborn patients. The CNM performs physical exams, collects and documents data, manages labor and spontaneous delivery, conducts diagnostic and therapeutic procedures, orders and schedules laboratory studies and professional consultations, and prescribes appropriate interventions and medications.
*At least 2 years of experience is desired but new graduates with labor and delivery experience in tertiary care centers can be considered. Preferred skills include Centering Pregnancy facilitators and Spanish speaking.*
1. Works in collaboration with the supervising physician to provide primary health care services within the scope of the licensed Nurse Practitioner. Maintains compliance with the Collaborative Practice Agreement, including drugs, devices, medical treatments, tests and procedures that may be prescribed, ordered and performed by the Nurse Practitioner.
2. Obtains patient histories, performs complete or problem focused exams, and orders diagnostic tests and treatments. Evaluates findings to formulate an integrated plan of care, and documents care provided in the patient's medical record.
3. Prescribes appropriate pharmaceuticals in compliance with the standards established in the Prescribing Authority by the NCBON.
4. Provides guidance and counseling to patients and families. Provide patient and family education related to prenatal, intrapartum, postpartum, newborn and interconceptional care.
5. Participates in quality improvement activities including ongoing review of care provided through regularly scheduled meetings with the supervising physician at least every six months, and annual review of the Collaborative Practice Agreement. Plans for and identifies situations beyond the Nurse Practitioner's expertise, and consults with and refers to other health care providers as appropriate.
6. Ensures compliance with established safety and regulatory guidelines, including HIPAA, CLIA, OSHA, and infection prevention policies and procedures.
7. Demonstrates good customer service skills when interacting with patients, families, and visitors. Demonstrates effective communication skills and team work.
8. Provide direct clinical services and management of mothers and babies as defined in the standing orders, policies, procedures and protocols for the certified nurse midwife.
● MSN Required. Must have current or compact RN licensure in the state of North Carolina. Certification as a Nurse Midwife is required.
● RN NC LIC
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Three years of nursing experience in a clinical setting required.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Faculty Physicians
Organization Unit: SOM Ob/Gyn Clinic
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Variable
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Yes
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.