Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this summer. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 10302
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Responsible for assisting the Director of Med/Onc/H&V for UNC Hospitals through daily and long term oversight of department activities. Provides management direction to designated department leadership and staff members. Assist the Director in ensuring the successful attainment of department goals and objectives. Accountable for departmental personnel management, fiscal management, communications, customer service, and quality/ process improvement initiatives to attain high level of quality outcomes consistent with organizational standards. Reports to the nursing Director of Med/Onc/H&V.
1. Financial Stewardship: Works with Director to develop and submit budgetary requests on or before stated deadlines for UNC Hospitals cost centers; assists in monitoring and analyzing budgetary trends. Implements strategies to increase revenue/decrease costs and cost-effectively manage personnel, supply and equipment resources. Makes necessary adjustments to ensure goals are achieved and/or meet budget projections. Recognizes opportunities for increases in productivity, cost savings, and revenue generation.
2. Human Resource Management: Effectively recruits, selects, hires, coaches, and uses appropriate corrective actions with staff in accordance with UNCHCS policies and procedures. Creates an environment conducive to retaining staff. Provides input to Director regarding staff annual performance feedback and the opportunity to set developmental goals. Participates in and leads as needed regularly recurring staff meetings at which pertinent information such as policy and procedure changes are communicated. Encourages staff to celebrate successes, express concerns and identity opportunities for improvements. Implements strategies to improve employee satisfaction inclusive of strategies to involve employees in decision making.
3. Leadership: Collaborates with Director to establish goals for the department that are congruent with hospital goals. Reviews overall department performance to ensure staff are meeting or exceeding target outcome goals. Leads in change efforts for improvement in work quality. Aligns work unit goals with organizational strategic direction. Demonstrates corporate citizenship by participating in activities external to assigned work unit/departments. Demonstrates active support of organizational initiatives. Accesses and utilizes appropriate administrative/clinical/financial systems. Acquires and maintains quantitative skills for data analysis. Creates an educational environment conducive to learning.
4. Professional Development Maintains familiarity with standards of appropriate discipline/professional work group. Seeks opportunities for professional growth. Attends required orientation prior to initiation of new systems. Participates in appropriate educational opportunities.
5. Communication: Identifies key customers and needs. Develops and maintains positive, effective relationships with key individuals and team both internally and externally. Monitors unit(s) performance and ensures scores are showing improvement using LEAN methodology. Maintains accountability for annual competency assessment of staff. Works with Director to ensure a high level of patient and customer satisfaction.
6. Quality and Regulatory/Accreditation Issues: Maintains familiarity with applicable rules, regulations, and accreditation issues, including Magnet related activities. Ensures work unit is in compliance with applicable accreditation issues. Participates in activities designed to monitor and improve compliance. Analyzes sentinel events and errors and develops and implements strategies to address the conditions that contributed to these situations.
● Master's degree in Nursing or related field; Applicant must have a Bachelor's and Master's Degree, at least one of which is in Nursing (if BSN is held degree, Master's in Education, Nursing, or other applicable field required).
● ● Registered Licensed as a Registered Nurse in the State of North Carolina; Certification in Nursing Leadership (CNML, NE-BC, NEA-BC) preferred; must obtain certification in administrative or clinical area within one year of hire.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● ● Requires a minimum of five (5) years’ experience in nursing. Demonstrated progressive experience in nursing management with a minimum of two (2) years in a leadership role required; one (1) year clinical or management experience working with inpatient medicine or surgery patients required.
● ● Proven track record of effective management of health care staff in an acute care setting. Previous experience in an academic medical center and/ or health care system preferred. Strong written and verbal communication skills. Basic computer skills in word processing and spreadsheet programs.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● ● Proven track record of effective management of health care staff in an acute care setting. Strong written and verbal communication skills. Basic computer skills in word processing and spreadsheet programs.
● ● Understands and applies principles, procedures, requirements, regulations, and policies related to specialized expertise.
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Medicine Inpatient Management
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Yes
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.