Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this winter. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 10020
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Faculty Physicians
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
This is intermediate level work obtaining complex history information and performing extensive ophthalmic tests according to physician orders. Assignments are repetitive Tasks but varied and require considerable knowledge of ocular anatomy, physiology, and pharmacology. It is independent work that requires minimal supervision by the Ophthalmologist or Supervisor. The work often includes teaching and/or assessing skills to other less skilled ophthalmic personnel. Certification at this level ensures that the technician can perform these tasks accurately which improves patient care and increases flow efficiency. Certification at this level is optimal for supervisory roles.
1. Patient Assessment - Interviews patient to collect and update medical and ocular history, family and social history, records previous surgeries and treatments, updates medications, allergies and pharmacy information. Obtains patients chief complaint asking questions as appropriate for recording severity, context, duration, frequency, associated symptoms, pain scale, etc.
2. Patient Testing - Independently performs elements of comprehensive exam such as visual acuity using various methods such as Snellen, Tumbling E's, Allen Pictures, Optotype, ETDRS and contrast sensitivity. Neutralize glasses Rx with auto-lensometer or manual method and transpose between minus and plus cylinder format, Measure Intra-Ocular pressure using Applanation, Tonopen or I-Care method, measure, compare and evaluate pupillary responses including RAPD, ocular motility to include versions and ductions, cover tests, stereo acuity and nystagmus, worth four dot, krimsky, maddox Rod, convergence training, visual fields including confrontation, automated perimetry and Amsler Grid method, color vision, retinoscopy, auto-refraction, manifest refraction, exophthalmometry, schirmer's tear testing, inflammadry and osmolarity testing, glare testing, keratometry readings (automated or manual) and corneal pachymetry.
3. Patient Set Up - Sets up for Lasers, minor surgical procedures, and injections using sterile technique where applicable. Educate patients on procedures, testing , systemic diseases and their ocular manifestations, instruct on proper medication use and treatments, how to apply eye dressings, etc. May take vital signs such as blood pressure or glucose testing or perform CPR in emergency situations.
4. Equipment Maintenance - Cleans and calibrates ophthalmic instruments and equipment, replaces bulbs and batteries, monitors clinic medical and labaratory supplies and reports shortages to facilities manager to be reordered. Cleans and sterilizes instruments according to UNC policy. Cleans and stocks exam rooms and ancillary testing rooms when needed. Maintains calibration of ophthalmic instruments and reports malfunctioning equipment to facilities manager for prompt repair.
5. Special Testing - May independently perform special testing such as OCT, Goldmann Visual Fields, Fundus Photography, Fluorescein Angiography and Topography, Axial Length measurements using IOL Master or Immersion method as directed by the physician or in compliance with predetermined protocols. Has knowledge of office antisepsis, universal precautions, specimens and biopsies, and culture sample preperation. May assess skills, teach new skills and mentor less experienced employees.
6. Education - Participates in training activities, prepares lectures, teaches in workshops and other educational opportunities. Participates in community service activities. Volunteers and assists with research projects.
● High School diploma or GED
● Certification at the Technician level by the Joint Commission of Allied Health Personnel in Ophthalmology.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● If graduation from an accredited CoA-OMP or CMA (Canadian Medical Association) training program: One (1) year of clinical experience.
● If a High School diploma or GED: Three (3) years of clinical experience with direct patient care.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Faculty Physicians
Organization Unit: UNC Eye Carolina Crossing
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.