Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this summer. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 10090
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Faculty Physicians
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 30,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and wellbeing of the unique communities we serve.
The Administrative Specialist is responsible for collecting accurate demographic, financial, and medical information from patients who require health care services in accordance with policies and procedures in a confidential manner. Represents the hospital as the focal point for all initial communications at time of registration in a courteous and professional manner.
1. Completion of insurance verification and documenting upfront collections before the date of service for scheduled and preregistered accounts.
2. Completion of approval (pre-authorization/prior-approval) for scheduled and pre-registered accounts.
3. Completion of pre-registration (by phone or by form) for patients as required or requested.
4. Schedules all new and follow-up patient appointments. Communicates cancellations as needed, attempting to reschedule whenever possible.
5. Maintains inventory of clinical and office supplies. Orders supplies within budget, as assigned.
6. Ensures and verifies key ADT information is current and accurate to ensure patient safety, charging, coding, insurance processing, and billing accuracy.
7. Completes and documents all governmental, regulatory, financial, and contractual forms in accordance to procedure. Ensures document is scanned/saved to correct location and is legible.
8. Meets departmental target for up front collections to include deposits, estimated amounts due, co-pays, and/or prior balances.
9. Meets departmental target for registration timeliness.
10. Ensures customer service by consistently demonstrating a caring, positive, professional, and helpful disposition with all customer relations.
11. Influences co-worker satisfaction by being self-motivated, a positive communicator, team player, and a willing and
Be an approachable resource to other co-workers. Demonstrates willingness to change to ensure continuous improvement.
12. Actively participates in departmental QA by utilizing system work queues, making a personal effort to reduce individual errors, and making corrections. Utilizes system work queues as a daily part of the registration process to minimize errors.
13. Effectively precepts new co-workers as assigned.
● High School diploma or GED
● No licensure or certification required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Two (2) years of clerical or administrative experience
● If Bachelor's degree, no years of clerical or administrative experience
● If Associate's degree, one (1) year of clerical or administrative experience
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Customer Focus: makes the customer and their needs their top priority and goes the extra mile to satisfy their customers. Demonstrates the ability to resolve customer problems. Technical expertise: understands the technical aspects of one’s job. Effectively uses Microsoft office products in order to produce reports and documents. Demonstrates the ability to learn and master the scheduling system as appropriate Coachability: Receptive to feedback, willing to learn and embraces continuous improvement Accountability: Manages performance to meet expected results. Works to meet the internal/external customer requirements. Fiscal responsibility: Understands the insurance process and seeks to make the best decision/referral in the interest of the customer. Understands the relationship of the budget and resources to the strategic plan. Coaching: Shares information, advice and suggestions to help others to be more successful. Provides appropriate support and acts as a resource depending on the situation and capabilities of the employee. Conflict Resolution: Uses appropriate interpersonal styles and methods to reduce tension or conflict between two or more people. Finds agreement on issues and follows through on implementation Solving Problems: Uses logic and intuition to arrive at decisions or solutions to problems that achieve the desired outcome.
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Faculty Physicians
Organization Unit: Amb Care-ACC-Surgery
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.