Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this summer. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 10369
Location: Lenoir, NC
Facility/Division: Caldwell Memorial Hospital
Status: Per Diem
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
Provide safe and timely ground transport of patients, while also providing basic and critical care life support to patients.
1. Monitors patient condition during ground transport to provide optimal stabilization through a critical care level of expertise, including mechanical ventilation, ECMO, Balloon Pump, ventricular assist devices and advanced monitoring
2. Monitors communication equipment and communicates with dispatch personnel, medical staff, family members and other stakeholders: * Ensures relevant information is collected and proper treatment is administered. * Communicates assessments and plan of care in a professional manner with the appropriate personnel.
3. Documents patients’ status, delivery of care and evaluation of the patients’ response to care according to unit specific procedures and established protocols.
4. Contacts physicians for guidance, as needed, and follows treatment protocols as described by UNC Hospitals Critical Care Transport Medical Direction.
5. Monitors patient condition during transport to provide optimal stabilization.
6. Operates various medical and mechanical equipment in the pre-hospital, hospital, and aviation environment. Ensures that medical equipment is functional and operational during transport. Restocks supplies as needed and, notifies staff of needed equipment repairs.
7. Operates extensive medical and mechanical equipment in the hospital and transport environment, such as multimodality ventilators capable of invasive ventilation and monitors with invasive hemodynamic capabilities. Ensures all medical equipment is functioning; restocks medical supplies as needed.
8. Obtains direction regarding further advanced care from medical staff. Delivers emergency and critical care, such as rapid sequence induction, medication assisted intubation, surgical airway, management of thoracostomy tubes, ability to manage central lines, blood product infusion, continuous temperature management, fetal heart monitoring, and central line placement, in accordance with protocols under UNC Hospitals Critical Care Transport Medical Direction
9. Participates in plan of care for critical patients and require transport from referring institutions as well as using advanced medications to control blood pressure, heart rate, arrhythmias, and sedation.
● High School diploma or GED
● North Carolina EMT-Paramedic certification or National Equivalent with ability to obtain NC Paramedic within 30 days of hire
● National Registry Paramedic –Preferred for in-state but required within 12 months of hire
● Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) provider certification
● Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) provider certification
● Basic Life Support (BLS) provider certification
● Trauma certification such as ITLS, PHTLS or TNCC
● Professional certification required within 18 months of hire-includes CCEMT-P (preferred), FPC, or CCP-C
● Valid NC Driver’s License in good standing or able to obtain prior to start* NC, VA, SC and TN are all acceptable
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Three (3) years of Paramedic experience in a high volume ALS EMS service or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: Caldwell Memorial Hospital
Organization Unit: Emergency Room
Work Type: Per Diem
Standard Hours Per Week: 12.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Lenoir
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.