Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this summer. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 9697
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Medical Center
Status: Full Time
Supervisor needed for the Central Processing Department at UNC Medical Center. The supervisor will support the Operating Room and be responsible for the oversight of Central Sterile Technicians in the assembly of scopes and trays of instruments based on established work lists, as well as decontamination, sterilization, tray put away and case cart pick. Must be able to read and speak English fluently and have basic computer and office skills. Sterile processing certification and three (3) years of experience relevant to the processing or inventorying of medical surgical supplies required. Previous supervisory experience preferred.
This position is 40 hours/week and will include working every weekend and three days each week. Shifts are 8 hours and are primarily day shift but may require working other shifts as needed.
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
This position is a working supervisor, with major responsibility for ensuring that sterile supplies and instruments are available to the operating rooms throughout the UNC Healthcare system. In addition to the staff, this position also performs a variety of duties related to the decontamination, sterilization, assembly, storage, and distribution of surgical instruments and medical supplies. Employees in this class work under the minimal supervision of a higher-level administrator.
1. Assists in maintaining inventory of supplies, equipment, and repair parts replaces old equipment and arranges for repairs of existing equipment.
2. Assists with selection, hiring, and coaching of staff. Monitors performance, provides feedback. Responsible for discipline of staff. Conducts performance appraisals.
3. Confers with company representatives. Attends demonstrations of new equipment. Recommends purchases of new equipment. Assists with evaluations of new items and procedures.
4. Ensures staff is aware of and adheres to relevant policies and procedures, including Infection Control Guidelines, society standards and manufacturer’s instructions for use.
5. Responsible for supervising personnel who process, store, distribute, issue, and stock surgical instruments and medical supplies to all patient care areas, clinics and specialty areas. Maintains day-to-day operations, plans daily shift schedule or changes based on manpower scheduling and the needs of the areas serviced.
6. Reviews work of staff to ensure quality, accuracy of charges, inventory levels and equipment on hand.
7. Sets the standard for customer service, trains staff, evaluates employees, and advises customers as to use of equipment and supplies as needed. Troubleshoots problems and make recommendations to improve operations.
● High School diploma or GED
● Sterile processing certification required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Three (3) years of experience relevant to the processing or inventorying of medical surgical supplies.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Central Processing Department
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Weekend
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.