Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this summer. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 10411
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: Shared Services
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The Patient Access & Support Specialist role at UNC Professional Relations serves as an integral point of contact for multiple service lines supporting the UNC Health Care System as well as non-affiliated contracted practices across the state.
1. Fronting patient calls for nurse triage and identifying conditions needing urgent intervention.
2. Researching and recommending UNC Health Care System providers to new and existing patients based on their needs and preferences
3. Registering new patients, scheduling, canceling, rescheduling and confirming patient appointments for UNC Health Care System primary care and specialty care facilities across the state and collaborating with internal departments and external entities with a goal of providing the right care at the right time
4. Providing user support for My UNC Chart (patient portal for health records): Answer questions about accessing, navigating and utilizing the website, troubleshoot common issues and provide one call resolutions, route issues needing further investigation to senior level specialists, maintain strict privacy protocols on digital platform, recognize privacy related situations and submit detailed report of possible issues to the Privacy Office when appropriate
5. Coordinating communications between medical professionals for consultation and patient care follow up to ensure patients are receiving timely care.
6. Participating in special projects to add value to the department and it’s support of the UNC Health Care system in a collaborative and respectful way to meet our organizational goals.
7. Maintaining awareness of higher call volumes and taking appropriate action to prioritize and address call waiting queues in order to meet our departmental service level commitments to provide timely patient care and exceptional patient experiences.
8. Accurately document the details of all incoming and outbound calls in real time in Epic in accordance with standard operating procedures (SOPs).
9. Demonstrate competent customer support related to multiple service line offerings including but not limited to: RN Triage support (contracted practices and Health Plan), RN transitions report, system Access, navigations and primary care scheduling, specialty care scheduling (Atrial Fibrillation and Deep Vein Thrombosis follow up appointments), My UNC Chart user support, NGACO (Senior Alliance) patient and provider support, provider to provider consultations (Carolina Consultation Center), UNC REX Healthnet.
● High School degree or GED required
Professional Experience Requirements:
● If Bachelor’s degree, one (1) year of customer service experience, preferably in a health care/patient centered setting. If Associates degree, three (3) years of customer service experience, preferabl in a health care/patient centered setting.If High School degree, five (5) years of customer service experience, preferably in a health care/patient centered setting.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
● Strong verbal and written communication skills with a focus on patient centered care to meet patient and departmental needs; professionalism, active listening, rapport building, facilitating, empathy, conflict resolution, complaint management, and problem solving.·Provides open, positive mission-focused communication, direction and assistance to all internal and external customers. Express initiative, teamwork and a good attitude. Shows interest and self-motivation.·Ability to work effectively in fast-paced, constantly changing, demanding work environment while maintaining strong critical thinking, communication, and organizational skills.·Assumes additional responsibilities while also identifying situations that need 2nd level review/escalation.·Familiarity with Microsoft Office programs·Strong personal computer and technology skills (including typing)·Ability to access and utilize numerous databases simultaneously·Strong organizational skills and the ability to shift priorities·Must gain knowledge of the UNC Health Care System and all services we support as well as familiarity with some medical terminology during training.·Must gain knowledge of and proficiency in following protocols.
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: Shared Services
Organization Unit: Professional Relations
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.