Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this summer. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
Job ID: 10181
Location: Durham, NC
Facility/Division: Shared Services
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The System Executive Director – Retail and Specialty Pharmacy manages a system-wide comprehensive pharmacy program and is responsible for achieving strategic and operating objectives of the system retail and specialty pharmacies consistent with the strategic goals, mission and values of UNC Health Care System. This position is responsible for the overall success and growth of retail and specialty pharmacies across the organization ,ensuring standardization of services and utilization of practice models that provide value-based care to patients. The System Executive Director –Retail and Specialty Pharmacy anticipates and recognizes the evolving factors that affect current/future needs, and directs the development of strategies to support growth of assigned pharmacy services.
1. Retail and Specialty Pharmacy- Provides strategic system leadership and direct oversight for the system owned Retail and Specialty pharmacies. Works collaboratively with leadership to create a service line infrastructure comprised of high quality clinical care supported by highly reliable operational services. Cultivates and maintains professional relationships with primary customers of the clinical area(s) including, but not limited to: medical directors, physicians, physician groups, patients, supply vendors and external entities to foster opportunities for revenue enhancement, cost efficiency, enhanced customer service and to positively impact core clinical measures. Ensures effective and efficient delivery, communication, and administration of all related programs.
2. Leading Change - Acts as a catalyst for organizational change. Influences others to translate vision into action. Brings about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Establishes an organizational vision and implements it in a continuously changing environment. Is open to change and new information and rapidly adapts to new information, changing conditions, or unexpected obstacles. Deals effectively with pressure and remains optimistic and persistent, even under adversity. Recovers quickly from setbacks. Formulates objectives and priorities, and implements plans consistent with the long-term interests of the organization. Capitalizes on opportunities and manages risks. Takes a long-term view and builds a shared vision with others.
3. Leading People - Leads people toward meeting the organization's vision, mission, and goals. Provides an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts. Encourages workforce engagement by building a commitment to excellence and by promoting the organization's vision internally and externally. Delegates responsibility, clarifies expectations and holds others accountable for achieving results related to their area of responsibility. Leads in a deliberate and predictable way and operates with transparency. Treats sensitive or confidential information appropriately. Develops the ability of others to perform and contribute to the organization by providing ongoing feedback and by providing opportunities to learn through formal and informal methods. Manages and resolves conflicts and disagreements in a constructive manner.
4. Results Driven - Exceeds organizational goals and customer expectations. Makes decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks. Holds self and others accountable for measurable high-quality, timely, and cost-effective results. Delivers high-quality services and is committed to continuous improvement. Fosters a culture of safe and compassionate patient care. Makes well-informed, timely decisions, even when data are limited or solutions produce unfavorable results. Positions the organization for success by identifying new opportunities and builds the organization by developing and improving services. Leads the budgeting process. Uses cost-benefit thinking to set priorities, monitors expenditures in support of programs and policies, and identifies cost-effective approaches.
● Bachelor's degree in Pharmacy required. Master’s degree in Pharmacy, Health Services, Business Administration, or related field is strongly preferred.
● Eligible for licensure as a Registered Pharmacist in NC. Licensure from NC Board of Pharmacy required within 6 months of orientation date or sooner if required for operations.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● Ten years of pharmacist experience or equivalent, of which seven years must be management experience in pharmacy; proven management skills, including program planning and development, project management, finance, performance, quality and/or human resource management.
● Retail and/or Specialty Pharmacy Experience required. Experience in a complex health care system is preferred.
Legal Employer: NC Health
Entity: Shared Services
Organization Unit: UNC HCS SSC Pharmacy Retail
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: Yes
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.