Thank you for your continued interest in career opportunities with UNC Health! Please note the following:
Current employees, looking to refer someone? Check out our Discovery Employee Referral Program to earn extra cash!
** Due to the recent switch in our HR and application systems, our HR team is working hard towards implementing a new and improved, mobile friendly Employee Referral solution expected to launch this winter. For applicable positions and referral guidelines, learn more here.
After reviewing the referral guidelines, in the interim, we ask that you submit your employee referral by filling out this form. Please ensure that you submit your referral before your referral has applied to the position. Thank you for your patience during this transition.
Current UNC Health employees also now have access to our myCareer - Career Development Resources, which provide tools and guidance to employees to create a career plan.
Need further assistance? Please submit a request through the myHR Portal.
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 10308
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Facility/Division: UNC Faculty Physicians
Status: Full Time
Shift: Day Job
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 30,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
This entry level position assists our Ophthalmologists in the provision of excellent care. Our team of Certified Ophthalmic Assistants and Certified Ophthalmic Technicians will help train you towards certification in the field.Come join our team of professionals!
UNC Health offers comprehensive benefits packages, which include generous PTO accrual, health, dental and vision insurance, academic assistance and much more. Explore our benefits here:https://jobs.unchealthcare.org/pages/benefits
1. Clinic Flow - Monitors clinic flow to ensure patients and physicians are in the proper areas. Rooms patients for the physician, opens electronic medical record, and reviews data prior to physician examination to ensure completeness and accuracy. Opens imaging system and ensures all test results are available to be viewed by the physician.
2. Assistance - Scribes physician notes on patient examination at physician's direction using electronic medical record format. Reviews and updates medication list and allergies if appropriate. Provides patient with appropriate educational materials and answers questions. Administers topical medications as ordered by the physician. Instructs the patient in the use of self-testing tools and records test results.
3. Procedure Set Up - Sets up for lasers, and minor surgical procedures, using sterile technique where applicable.
4. Equipment Maintenance - Cleans and stocks exam rooms and ancillary testing rooms when needed. Maintains calibration of ophthalmic instruments and reports malfunctioning equipment to facilities manager for prompt repair.
5. Patient Exam –Make introductions and establish rapport with the patients. Initiate patient evaluation, documenting the chief complaint, history of present illness, review of systems, and all pertinent ocular findings accurately and in accordance with compliance guidelines. Performs entry level exam components such as: visual acuity, visual fields, intraocular pressure with tonopen, automated keratometry, auto-lensometry and auto-refraction under the direct supervision of the ophthalmologist.
6. Triage - May function in a triage capacity to obtain patient complaint and history to identify the call as emergent, urgent, or routine. Knowledge of ocular conditions/signs/symptoms is needed. Excellent communication skills are a must. Will respond to patient phone calls, document calls into medical record, schedule emergent appointments, enter medication refill requests, and assist with completion of patient forms including, but not limited to, DMV forms and FMLA documentation.
7. Other – Other duties as assigned.
● High School diploma or GED
● No licensure or certification required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
● No prior experience required.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Faculty Physicians
Organization Unit: UNC Eye Carolina Crossing
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
The UNC Health System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
UNC Health is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.